Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a little off-topic - for which I apologise. As British nationals it is my understanding that a carte de sejour is no longer required for us. But a car dealer I approached about purchasing a second hand Citroen was adamant that even as a British passport holder and therefore full member of the EU I would need a carte de sejour to register a vehicle which I found rather contradictory.

If anyone could provide advice, much appreciated!

·
Administrator
51,630 Posts
I've moved your query into a thread of its own in the hope of attracting more attention.

Basically, you are NOT required to have a carte de séjour if you are a UK citizen. If you don't want to bother with a carte de séjour, you can use your British passport as "national i.d." - though in the process of registering a car in France, you will need to provide some proof of your French residence (in the form of a utility bill, rental agreement or similar document).

This is the official Service Public page on registering a used vehicle purchased in France: Acquisition d'un véhicule d'occasion en France - Service-public.fr

It mentions "justificatif d'identité" and "justificatif de domicile" - which can easily be your UK passport and a utility bill in your name. A carte de séjour might be accepted as both (though they probably would still require the justificatif de domicile)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've moved your query into a thread of its own in the hope of attracting more attention.

Basically, you are NOT required to have a carte de séjour if you are a UK citizen. If you don't want to bother with a carte de séjour, you can use your British passport as "national i.d." - though in the process of registering a car in France, you will need to provide some proof of your French residence (in the form of a utility bill, rental agreement or similar document).

This is the official Service Public page on registering a used vehicle purchased in France: Acquisition d'un véhicule d'occasion en France - Service-public.fr

It mentions "justificatif d'identité" and "justificatif de domicile" - which can easily be your UK passport and a utility bill in your name. A carte de séjour might be accepted as both (though they probably would still require the justificatif de domicile)
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks very much indeed Bev - that is very helpful indeed.

Cheers, Ian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.