Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I know there are many threads on this but I still can't seem to find the answers I need.

I am an EU national (UK) and my wife is an America. We were told that since I am British she doesn't need a Long term visa to stay in France. So we have moved and settled down in Paris. I am already working (a chef) and we have a bank account and all necessary documents to prove our case. We are currently translating her birth certificate and our Marriage license.

Here is my question;

Because she doesn't have a visa, do I need to obtain a carte de sejour for her to obtain her carte de sejour? Like I said, we have proof of work for me, a bank account, French License of our Marriage and her Birth certificate translated to French.

Please Help if you can.
Thomas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there,
I am not sure if this will help you but I just want to share my similar condition with you.
I am Indonesian, married to a Belgian and we moved to Paris in 2010. When I left Indonesia, I entered France with tourist visa because they said I didn't need to have a long stay visa. But once I am in France, I had to go to the prefecture to apply for carte de sejour. I need only to show them my passport and marriage certificate and a week later I was issued a carte de sejour which allows me to stay and work in France for the next 10 years !! By the way, my husband being an EU citizen, he doesn't need to have carte de sejour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DewiTsimons, Thank you for your reply. I hope our luck here is as good as yours was. I feel like we have all necessary paperwork and are throwing ourselves at the mercy of the French government. Did you have any paperwork translated?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had all my life documents translated into French !! :) It was needed when I applied for the visa but not when I went to the prefecture. I guess I was very lucky knowing that many people find difficulties to get the CDS. I heard that different prefecture applies different rules ! Good luck !! :)

·
Administrator
51,922 Posts
You don' t need a carte de sejour (though you may find it handy to have - saves carrying your UK passport around with you). Your wife needs to go to the prefecture within two months of her arrival in France to apply for a carte de sejour. She' ll need proof of your marriage, your citizenship (i.e. your passport) and your employment.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
carte sejour

Hello,
I know there are many threads on this but I still can't seem to find the answers I need.

I am an EU national (UK) and my wife is an America. We were told that since I am British she doesn't need a Long term visa to stay in France. So we have moved and settled down in Paris. I am already working (a chef) and we have a bank account and all necessary documents to prove our case. We are currently translating her birth certificate and our Marriage license.

Here is my question;

Because she doesn't have a visa, do I need to obtain a carte de sejour for her to obtain her carte de sejour? Like I said, we have proof of work for me, a bank account, French License of our Marriage and her Birth certificate translated to French.

Please Help if you can.
Thomas
Hello, this was my case but I am canadian. I received carte the sejour with no problem being attached to a uk citizen with the right to work all activities since this is your wife if she does not want to work I believe it is not necessary. I still think it is a good idea for her to get it in case she wants to work. I went to prefecture on my own with all the papers an my husband's passport and picked up the carte de sejour a la mairie few weeks later

·
Registered
4 Posts
DewiTsimons, Thank you for your reply. I hope our luck here is as good as yours was. I feel like we have all necessary paperwork and are throwing ourselves at the mercy of the French government. Did you have any paperwork translated?
No because I come from Montreal and all was in French but since I am divorced and I am just about to open a new thread not so sure I am lucky.... best to phone prefecture and first say she is attached to EU citizen this way they will be nicer and more patient to help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone, I came across this thread and have a very similar problem and was wondering if I could ask if you have all successfully obtained a carte de sejour without previously getting a long stay visa in Frsnce? I am Canadian married to a uk citizen. We moved from the uk early September and I was told by the French embassy in the uk that I don't need any visa to come here. But I have been recently rejected an application for the carte de sejour for the spouse of a scientist (my husband is working in Paris as a scientist) because of the lack of long stay visa. So I was wondering if you could tell me which specific type of visa you were able to obtain as a non European spouse of a eu national without a long stay visa. Because I am Canadian, I also didn't need a schengen visa so I basically came into the country like a tourist but now my time is up soon and I really don't know what to do. Any advise would be great! Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
French ID card

Hello everyone, I came across this thread and have a very similar problem and was wondering if I could ask if you have all successfully obtained a carte de sejour without previously getting a long stay visa in Frsnce? I am Canadian married to a uk citizen. We moved from the uk early September and I was told by the French embassy in the uk that I don't need any visa to come here. But I have been recently rejected an application for the carte de sejour for the spouse of a scientist (my husband is working in Paris as a scientist) because of the lack of long stay visa. So I was wondering if you could tell me which specific type of visa you were able to obtain as a non European spouse of a eu national without a long stay visa. Because I am Canadian, I also didn't need a schengen visa so I basically came into the country like a tourist but now my time is up soon and I really don't know what to do. Any advise would be great! Thank you so much in advance.
Hello,

I got my carte de sejour my case was a bit diff. because I am Canadian and divorced but here since 14 years. In your case since you are married just go to la prefecture and ask for the formulaire carte de sejour. Your husband do not need one but he can also ask for it. Since you are married to UK citizen there is no problem. If your husband has a job even better you can make copy of his contract, proof of residency (EDF bill, water bill). This card is good for 5 years and you should ask for the right to work. I had before such card and I am Canadian (droit a toutes activites de travail). After 5 years if you are still here you can apply for "longue duree". Good luck

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Fletch inFrance.
Been resident in France for the past ten years. Visited the Marie regarding carte de sejour. Was informed that they are no longer required as long as you are in possession of a current EEC.passport. May be the same for people from outside the EEC. Regards. Fletch.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Administrator
51,922 Posts
You won't be granted anything as the spouse of a scientist. What you want to apply for is a carte de séjour as the spouse of an EU national. You'll need his i.d. and proof of nationality (i.e. his passport) and indication of where you're living and his work details (i.e. to show that he is working here).

As the wife of an EU national exercising his EU rights (i.e. working here) you're entitled to all the same rights he has, and a carte de séjour to prove it.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
51,922 Posts
Fletch inFrance.
Been resident in France for the past ten years. Visited the Marie regarding carte de sejour. Was informed that they are no longer required as long as you are in possession of a current EEC.passport. May be the same for people from outside the EEC. Regards. Fletch.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum
Definitely NOT the case for those from outside the EEC/EU. But as the spouse of an EU national, getting a carte de séjour should be relatively simple.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks everyone! Bev, may I ask you to clarify why I won't get the scientist spouse visa. Is it coz this category requires a long stay visa or have I got it totally wrong in the first place visa or no visa? I see that you are in Essonne as well like we are, on the prefecture website I found this category called titre de séjour en qualité de conjoint entré par
regroupement familia. Is this the one I want? The required documents seem to be a bit complicated though I wonder if there is a simpler category I had missed. Do you also know if I can make an appointment or just bring everything with me and stand in the line at 6am? Sorry I tried to call them to ask but they don't speak any English. Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh and on a separate note. They didn't stamp my passport when I came into France from the Uk but I have the boarding pass to proof though (easyjet electronic ones). Will that be a problem? I can't do anything about it right? Someone mentioned to me I can go to the police station to get it verified but my local police station nor Mairie nor gendarmairie know anything about it. Is there a specific thread for this I should post? Sorry if I've missed it. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi it's me again. Another day and more questions...my passport expires next August so do you know if I am likely going to get the carte de sejour valid till then or does it matter? I am assuming they won't give you anything beyond the expiry day which is fair enough but will they reject it because I don't have a minimum of 15 months like the requirement for the long visa? I am wondering if I should renew my passport before or after carte de sejour. It will take 3 weeks and I have about 5 weeks of my 90 days left.... What are your experiences? Any advice would be great! Sorry I am getting pretty desperate coz we have a little baby so it's not so easy for me to travel around without a car so really want to make sure I've got everything right before I go! Thanks so much again!

·
Administrator
51,922 Posts
OK, take a deep breath.

You can't get a visa as the spouse of a scientific because that visa is for the spouse of someone on a scientific visa. It's actually a dependent visa and has to be tied to another visa. Your husband is an EU national and has no need of a visa to live and work in France.

If you're in Essonne, then you have to go to the prefecture (or sous-prefecture, depending on what town you live in) and queue up for a number. But when you get in to see someone, show them this page from the Service Public: Citoyens européens et suisses : installer sa famille proche en France - Service-public.fr and this one: Famille d'Européens en France : 1ère demande et renouvellement de la carte "UE" - Service-public.fr

What you want is a carte de séjour - membre de la famille d'un citoyen de l'Union". Be prepared to show your passport and i.d. (bring the documentation you have to show when you entered France and explain that no one stamped your passport), evidence of your marriage, your husband's i.d. (passport primarily) and something showing that he is employed in France (job contract or recent payslips) and where you are living (rent agreement or other proof of residence). (All this is explained on the second page cited above.)

If they get squiffy about the lack of a stamp in your passport, you may need to make a shopping run to London - either by plane or train - and just be very sure on your return to not leave the "secure" area of the airport or train station until you have found someone to stamp your passport. But act all innocent and ask the person giving you a hard time what they suggest you do without giving them any suggestions. That sometimes works.

Your passport is fine. You'll need to renew it through the US consulate next spring or early summer, but there's no requirement for the EU spouse carte de séjour as to how long it has to be good for.

Other than having to get to the sous-prefecture early enough to get a number, it sounds like you've got it pretty much ready to roll. Keep us posted.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks so much Bev! This is very informative and clear. I wish I had joined this forum sooner! I am going to have to go to Evry for this. How early would you say is early enough? It'll take me 1.5 hrs to get there by train. Do you know if my husband has to be present as well and if they speak any English? I don't speak much French...
Thanks again!!

·
Administrator
51,922 Posts
I really don't know how early is early enough. (I took French nationality before any of this waiting in line nonsense got started.) If you can get your husband or a French speaking friend to go with you, that would be great - but you'd hardly be the first non-French speaking foreigner to show up at the prefecture. They seem to cope with the situation when they have to.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I am eu national staying in France. I have a rented appartment. My spouse is non eu national. Is it possible for eu spouse coming on schengen visa to apply for carta de sejour france. Also can she stay with me if her short term schengen visa expired. I cannot stay away from my spouse. Its been a long time.please can u suggest a cheap lawyer for it. Thanks everyone :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.