Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm new, not to France but to prefectures and paying attention to paperwork now as I'm EU citizen with UK passport, not enough consistent time living or working in France to qualify for residency etc as I never thought I'd have to be so careful about not leaving for any length of time, but here we all are!

My question is about changing my address on my EU citizen carte de sejour. I have moved from the Savoie prefecture to Paris. I'm trying to find information on the following. Can anyone help?

1. Is the process of changing address on my card simply proof of the new address, bail, EDF bill), or do I have to go through the process of having my dossier reconsidered or a new one submitted?

- I ask because I was told that most if not all prefectures including Paris were temporarily saying no to EU card requests from UK passports holders by internal directive, even though the law says there is a right to one. As it took so much time, effort, cost and tears to be issued with one in the first place, I don't want to immediately have it taken away by a new prefecture because I ask to change my address!

2. If I have access to two addresses in France, can I opt to leave my card with the first address on it rather than change it? If I spend most of my time at the second address (and my bank statements will show this!), will this be a problem for my carte de sejour? Basically, what do people with two addresses in France do for their carte de sejours?

-I ask because my first official french address, where I opened my french bank account and applied for my carte de sejour, is my boyfriend's place. He lives there during ski season and works elsewhere for the other half of the year. Once ski season was over, I chose to come to Paris and stay in France because I have my own life too! He chose to work in another EU country which is fine, but was not a good choice for me. We are still together, I can have another bail/attestation de herbegement from him for the rest of the time of my carte de sejour for his address, but all my bank statements will show spending in Paris area! Plus I now have a Paris bail, EDF bills in my name and I will open a local bank account using my Paris address, all for Paris.

I don't want to be too reliant on another person maintaining my paperwork for my own status in France and my life (he is french so doesn't think the UK passport challenge is a big deal, because it's not a big deal to him, all of us living in EU countries know that it is our lives and so is the biggest deal!), equally getting the carte de sejour was such a lot of effort, stress and tears that I don't want to immediately lose it by putting myself in the hands of a potentially hostile new prefecture!

Does anyone have experience of change of address carte de sejour EU, or having two addresses in France and choosing one for carte de sejour, or the Paris prefecture for UK passport holders making changes to carte de sejour?

Can anyone help?! Simplicity is needed, my head is spinning...

Thank you:)

Lucie

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I don't know how this specifically relates to the carte de séjour but a resident in France can only have one "résidence principale" and that is the address that has to be used on all official paperwork. Résidence principale is an important concept as it has various fiscal and legal consequences, and you can't play fast and loose with it. Your résidence principale is the centre of your family/economic interests, where you run your life from (the address you put on your tax return, the address you have your car registered to, the address you give to your bank etc) and normally where you spend most of your time.

I don't really understand why you need a carte de séjour, it's not necessary for Brits at the moment and nobody has decided yet what we will need come Brexit. But if you're entitled to one and you want one then why not. But I suspect the acid test for proving 5 years' residency, if it comes to it, is going to be 5 years of avis d'imposition and tax history, that is how legal residency is normally "proved".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My question relates to a carte de sejour because I am asking for help in changing the address on my carte de sejour.

If you mean you do not know how your response relates to a carte de sejour (the subject of my question!), then maybe your comments belongs elsewhere.

I also asked about any specific experience in changing the address on a carte de sejour at the Paris prefecture, or doing so as a UK passport holder, or both. Or a response simply about changing the address on a carte de sejour would be helpful.

The question was simply about changing my address and the reality of having a carte de sejour, an answer just about changing my address in the reality of having a carte de sejour is all I am asking for.

I have two homes in France, I am not attempting to "play fast and loose" with anything. Many people have two homes in the same country. Neither is a holiday home and I divide my time. Both are centres of my family/economic interests.

Not everyone has the same personal circumstances or situation. Please do not disrespect mine.

I disagree with your predictions for the definite need for a residency test and what form that residency test may take, and for which groups of people, on so many facts and levels that it is not worth discussing any further and I certainly don't wish to!

Wow, what an unpleasant introduction to the forum:)

I don't know how this specifically relates to the carte de séjour but a resident in France can only have one "résidence principale" and that is the address that has to be used on all official paperwork. Résidence principale is an important concept as it has various fiscal and legal consequences, and you can't play fast and loose with it. Your résidence principale is the centre of your family/economic interests, where you run your life from (the address you put on your tax return, the address you have your car registered to, the address you give to your bank etc) and normally where you spend most of your time.

I don't really understand why you need a carte de séjour, it's not necessary for Brits at the moment and nobody has decided yet what we will need come Brexit. But if you're entitled to one and you want one then why not. But I suspect the acid test for proving 5 years' residency, if it comes to it, is going to be 5 years of avis d'imposition and tax history, that is how legal residency is normally "proved".

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
According to the website for the prefecture de police in paris, you only need to change the address on your carte de séjour if it is one valid for more than a single year. If you've got the 5 year EU national carte de séjour, you will need to take an appointment.

For the details: https://www.prefecturedepolice.inte...-sejour/Modification-de-votre-titre-de-sejour
As Eurotrash says, you need to decide which address you want to use as your primary address for your séjour in France - basically where you will be spending the bulk of your time and the address you can justify as your "residence" with invoices and whatever in your own name. I add that last bit because, for various reasons, I always have significant difficulties providing "proof of residence" in those instances I am asked to provide it. (House is in DH's name and while we are married, we don't use the same name.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
My question relates to a carte de sejour because I am asking for help in changing the address on my carte de sejour.

If you mean you do not know how your response relates to a carte de sejour (the subject of my question!), then maybe your comments belongs elsewhere.

I also asked about any specific experience in changing the address on a carte de sejour at the Paris prefecture, or doing so as a UK passport holder, or both. Or a response simply about changing the address on a carte de sejour would be helpful.

The question was simply about changing my address and the reality of having a carte de sejour, an answer just about changing my address in the reality of having a carte de sejour is all I am asking for.

I have two homes in France, I am not attempting to "play fast and loose" with anything. Many people have two homes in the same country. Neither is a holiday home and I divide my time. Both are centres of my family/economic interests.

Not everyone has the same personal circumstances or situation. Please do not disrespect mine.

I disagree with your predictions for the definite need for a residency test and what form that residency test may take, and for which groups of people, on so many facts and levels that it is not worth discussing any further and I certainly don't wish to!

Wow, what an unpleasant introduction to the forum:)
I think you are interpreting my attempt to help rather touchily?
Part of your question seemed to be, does it matters which of two possible addresses one uses for official papers. The answer is that in many cases it does matter and I was trying to explain why. Did I say I thought you were trying to play fast and loose? I didn't say that and I didn't think that, my point was simply "one" can't pick and choose which address you use for official paperwork. It's part of your ID in France, it helps the authorities tie up all the various records they keep on you. However I obviously made the point extraordinarily badly because (a) I upset you and (b) you don't seem to have accepted the point and you're still saying neither is a maison secondaire.
https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F752

I also noticed that you say you've already had stress and tears over this cds business, and it seemed a real shame to me that someone should get so stressed out about something that the regulations specifically say is not needed. My casual comment was meant to be a tactful way of sounding out whether or not you knew it wasn't necessary - you're new on the forum, I don't know what you know and what you don't know, some people do think they need to register at the mairie and get a carte de séjour the minute they arrive. I wasn't making any predictions and I don't have the slightest desire to start discussing what will be necessary after Brexit because it's been done to death and nobody knows in any case, I simply mentioned residency because surely cds are all to do with residence, if not what are they to do with?
but anyway, having made my apologies for raising your stress levels still further and my excuses for presuming to try to help, I'm out of this thread. All the best.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I think you are interpreting my attempt to help rather touchily?
Part of your question seemed to be, does it matters which of two possible addresses one uses for official papers. The answer is that in many cases it does matter and I was trying to explain why. Did I say I thought you were trying to play fast and loose? I didn't say that and I didn't think that, my point was simply "one" can't pick and choose which address you use for official paperwork. It's part of your ID in France, it helps the authorities tie up all the various records they keep on you. However I obviously made the point extraordinarily badly because (a) I upset you and (b) you don't seem to have accepted the point and you're still saying neither is a maison secondaire.
https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F752

I also noticed that you say you've already had stress and tears over this cds business, and it seemed a real shame to me that someone should get so stressed out about something that the regulations specifically say is not needed. My casual comment was meant to be a tactful way of sounding out whether or not you knew it wasn't necessary - you're new on the forum, I don't know what you know and what you don't know, some people do think they need to register at the mairie and get a carte de séjour the minute they arrive. I wasn't making any predictions and I don't have the slightest desire to start discussing what will be necessary after Brexit because it's been done to death and nobody knows in any case, I simply mentioned residency because surely cds are all to do with residence, if not what are they to do with?
but anyway, having made my apologies for raising your stress levels still further and my excuses for presuming to try to help, I'm out of this thread. All the best.
ET - I liked your post not because you're out of the thread, but because you took the time to explain your earlier post to someone who, for some reason best known to themselves, too your post seriously amiss.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
To the OP - it seems to me that you are effectively changing your principal residence twice a year. If you will continue to return to your partner's residence for half of every year, then it may just be easiest to leave the address on your CDS as is, otherwise perhaps you should be changing the address twice a year. In reality I have no idea, but it is the case in France that you have one principal residence, not two. Yes, lots of people have 2 homes, some have more, but they at the very least choose one as their principal residence, usually because they spend more time there, or have more personal connections there, etc. OTOH, if you have a lease etc on your rental, that might just be the easiest place to show as your address (principal residence) as well as for making your tax declaration, at least if you are planning on keeping the lease for the period that you will be living at your partner's residence. If you are planning to keep the lease during the winter months (i.e. including 1 January), you will still be liable for taxe d'hab on the property you rent. If you decide to change your official address every 6 months, then you will need to include the details of each move on your tax declaration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The part where they said "made their apologies" without actually using any words of apologising?

Or the part where they didn't, for a second time, read the original post as their "I am having the last say now I'm out of this thread" post made absolute sense.

If the context of this forum is bullying and ganging up , as you are clearly doing - seriously, why but in to a thread to complement someone who says they are no longer part of, simply to attack another member, what is wrong in your life that you need to do that? - then the context of your note is clear.

Now I'm out, thread and forum, so be as much of a bully as you like!

ET - I liked your post not because you're out of the thread, but because you took the time to explain your earlier post to someone who, for some reason best known to themselves, too your post seriously amiss.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
The part where they said "made their apologies" without actually using any words of apologising?

Or the part where they didn't, for a second time, read the original post as their "I am having the last say now I'm out of this thread" post made absolute sense.

If the context of this forum is bullying and ganging up , as you are clearly doing - seriously, why but in to a thread to complement someone who says they are no longer part of, simply to attack another member, what is wrong in your life that you need to do that? - then the context of your note is clear.

Now I'm out, thread and forum, so be as much of a bully as you like!
Ganging up? Really? I don't see how. Sad to read that you think so. There is however no way that people on the forum can be aware of your personal sensitivities.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Reading this exchange made me feel very uncomfortable.

I'm still confused about whether OP understands that under French law, everyone only has one "domicile" which is legally distinct from a "habitation."

The first response concerning proof of residence is correct: the law does not take into account your residence card (that's a necessary condition to prove you were a regular resident, but since you're an EU citizen, and excepting any OQTC orders against you, it's essentially assumed), but rather other factors, including your tax history.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
It has definitely been warm here in France today, and I think perhaps the heat is getting to all of us. In the interests of world peace, I'm going to close this thread.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.