Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bonjour!

I am an Australian citizen married to a Frenchman and we currently live near Toulon. As my titre de séjour was up for renewal, I recently started the procedure for doing so with the préfecture. The way it works in Var (a bit differently to the more casual approach of Hautes-Alpes, where we previously lived) is that we must visit 3 times. Once initially to set an appointment to present my dossier (which we did in July), second to present said dossier (which we did 2 days ago) and, assuming all goes well, a third appointment to collect my approved card and entitlement to stay. At our first appointment we were told that I would only qualify for a renewal of one year, despite having been married for 3 years and living in France all that time. We were expecting that I could renew for 2 years according to information we had received at the préfecture in Gap at last year's renewal. At the second appointment we were told that we had been given erroneous information and I am actually entitled to a 10 year residency card this time round. So we duly wrote the required letter of motivation and presented my otherwise completed dossier. I was issued an interim recipicée and informed I must await a letter (expected any time within 1-4 months) from our local town hall to present there for an interview to assess my suitability to receive a 10 year carte de séjour.

Anyway, I've been in the French system long enough to have none of this 'confusion' surprise or perturb me and I come to the point of my question. Has anyone had experience with this interview at the town hall and could shed some light on what they will likely ask? My husband and I suspect it will be along the lines of the values of the republic, and some general knowledge of French history, political system and current events. The lady at the préfecture said it will be very basic but it's tricky to know exactly what 'basic' means. I have the OFII 'Vivre en France' booklet and one called 'Explique moi la Nation' that I will try to learn pretty well. We will also go to the town hall and see if we can get any clues (previous experiences with our local town hall on other matters have been less than helpful so not expecting much from that line of enquiry) but thought I'd post here and see if anyone has had any direct experience with this process for some first hand insight. Also, what happens if I am assessed as not suitable for some reason? Am I likely to be just renewed for one year? My French is still at a fundamental level - I have passed the DELF A2 exam and estimate I could probably pass B1 but B2 would be pushing it. I have just restarted lessons after la rentrée and my teacher is willing to help me prepare.

I will sign off now with a thank you and gratitude in advance!

Charlotte.

·
Administrator
50,027 Posts
The requirements for a 10 year carte residente have been changing over the last couple of years. The "official" requirements are here: Titres, documents de séjour et de circulation des étrangers non européens - Service-public.fr under the heading Cartes de résident (10 ans)

As I understand it, if you "flunk" your carte de résident procedure, you're back to renewing your card every year. (They seem to have done away with the multi-year cards lately, other than the 10 year and 5 year ones.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
124 Posts
hi there - I received my carte de sejour in November last year. The week before I was stressing about the "interview", worried that they would kick me out:( of France......
My interview was at the sous prefecture and was quite easy. When I arrived they asked me a few questions about myelf, where I was from, family, where my husband works etc. I think that was just to test my french and see if I could answer questions. Then they asked me who the president of France was, the motto and who the prime minister was.

They then wanted to know what I was doing to be part of french society - I had just started at an artisans club where we did scrapbooking and decoupage plus I also did zumba which seemed sufficient enough for them.

I think the interview depends on each prefecture - I had two people interview me and they we really nice. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, sainfrance! Your information is very helpful and much appreciated. My husband and I were hoping/predicting it might be something similar to what you describe but with the French one never quite knows! I will prepare as best I can and hopefully all will be well, as it was for you! Congratulations!
Anyway, I'll do my best and the worst case scenario is that I just renew for another year - no biggie - so I won't stress about it. Many thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.