Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've only just joined this forum, and hope someone can give a bit of advice.

I'm just about to move from Edinburgh to near Seville for a 10 month contract. Initially I thought I would bring my beloved 3 year old Mazda car with me for the time I'm in Spain, but then found out that as a resident (someone paying Spanish tax) I'd have to 'import' the car within 30 days, and the cost of all the work and paperwork would be about £1000.

Plan B is to sell the car in the UK, pay off my car loan, and take the £3k equity to get an old car or motorbike in Spain for the duration of the contract and sell it at the end, HOWEVER, I've been told that 2nd hand cars/bikes are extremely expensive in Spain, and so that might knock that idea out of the water.

So my question is, are there any websites or forums where people leaving Spain /Leaving the UK, might be able to swap cars?

Any help much appreciated.

Steph

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hola

Firstly welcome to the forum and welcome to Spain.

The conundrum is exactly what you've described, and there is no easy answer. Depending on how long your contract is, and whether it is likely to be extended, it maybe better to not sell you Mazda but leave it in storage for your return.

Buying a car in Spain is much more expensive than the UK; the "Plan PIVE" which gave you up to 2,500€ for your old car when you buy a new one has effectively killed off the cheapest sector of the market.

There are various second-hand on-line sales but whether any of them would suit your needs I cannot tell but will leave to other more knowledgeable forum members

Davexf

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi,

I wouldn't say second hand cars/Motorbikes are "extremely" expensive. Admittedly they cost more than in the UK but they are certainly affordable!

Steve

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you're only in Spain for 10 months you're better off keeping the Mazda. Just get someone to take it out every few weeks or so to make sure the battery and electrics don't go flat. Then just hire a car, not for 10 months that will be too expensive. For a few weeks at a time which makes it much cheaper. It's a bit of a schlep keep going to hire a car but if you go to the same place each time it won't take long. If you think about it you'll need insurance local road tax maybe ITV if you get an old car depreciation and fuel economy won't be the best. If you hire one for a few weeks at a time you'll get a new car which will be very good on fuel and won't be paying a fortune. There's loads of threads about car hire but you can get a car very cheap and if you time it right you won't pay all that much. Don't hire from the airport either as that makes it more expensive. Hire from somewhere near to where you will be. Local places will do a better deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very useful info!

Hey, Thanks for all the replies. I actually came to the conclusion that hiring a small car 1 month at a time might be the best way to do it. Theres an insurance company in the UK that covers you for the excess waiver (which most hire companies pressure you to buy) and only costs about £45 for the year with unlimited number of hires, but no hire must last more than 30 days, and this means you can go for the cheap as chips car hire and you're covered for everything. And so I'm planning on that to start off with, and maybe buy a motorbike when I'm there!
Cheers, and thanks for all your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts