Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one try to bring in more than 10,000 AUD to australia , what will happen after declaring that you carry more , for example 40,000 ?

Currency
There is no limit on the amount of physical currency or
bearer negotiable instruments you can bring in or take
out of Australia.
However, you must declare amounts of AUD$10,000
(or foreign currency equivalent) or more using the
AUSTRAC Cross Border Movement – Physical
Currency form. You will need to see an ACBPS
officer if you require this form. More information
regarding AUSTRAC reporting can be found at
Information for travellers | Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC)
http://www.border.gov.au/EnteringorleavingAustralia/Documents/GuideforTravellers-KBYGFinalAccessible.pdf#search=$10,000%20in%20Australian%20currency%20or%20a%20foreign%20currency%20equivalent

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
If you can provide a paper trail showing the source of funds - say you've been depositing money into the bank for years to save up your money, if you can show your bank statements with regular deposits totalling the amount that you've got with you - then there's no problem with you bringing in funds in excess of AUD $10k.

The immigration officials just want to know that the money is not a result of criminal activity.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi,
I just want to clarify, so you're saying there is no need to pay for anything (taxes, etc.) as long as we can provide the paper trail?
Cause I've always thought there'd be some kind of tax that needed to be paid if we exceeded 10k

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi,
I just want to clarify, so you're saying there is no need to pay for anything (taxes, etc.) as long as we can provide the paper trail?
Cause I've always thought there'd be some kind of tax that needed to be paid if we exceeded 10k
:juggle:

No tax..you just have to prove it is yours, not drug money, and there is a legitimate reason why you are bringing it. If you do not declare it, the entire amount is confiscated

·
Registered
80 Posts
:juggle:

No tax..you just have to prove it is yours, not drug money, and there is a legitimate reason why you are bringing it. If you do not declare it, the entire amount is confiscated
I see.
Thanks for the information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts