Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as i am a carer for my father and i get carers allowance, for my partner and 2 children to come to the uk it would be a total of £266.10 a week

as i only get £62 pounds a week carers allowance i cannot meet that target but i have £24000 pounds in savings, would that be able to be used in the calculations

thank you in advance

·
Registered
675 Posts
as i am a carer for my father and i get carers allowance, for my partner and 2 children to come to the uk it would be a total of £266.10 a week

as i only get £62 pounds a week carers allowance i cannot meet that target but i have £24000 pounds in savings, would that be able to be used in the calculations

thank you in advance
Are the 2 children British Citizens?

Being British Citizen means that they are not included in the financial requirement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I wanted to know was if the £24000 savings could go towards the carers allowance and meet the requirements, I'm heartbroken at being away from the love of my life and just thought some of the kind people on here could advise me

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
How are you going support a family of 4 on £62/week?

It's not really clear how they would use savings but if you take £24,000/130 weeks ( the length in weeks of the visa) you get £184.61. Add that to £62 and you get £246.61 which is still short.

Do you get any other benefits?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies

I can earn up to an extra £120 pounds whilst recieving carers allowance but I cannot earn anymore than that

This is so hard and I know there are plenty more lost souls out there in the same situation, solicitors don't even seem to know answers, I suppose I could go to the states but I wouldn't want to put my father in a care home

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Surely you must be getting income support, housing benefit, council tax benefit, child tax credit, child benefit etc, all of which in one way or another can contribute to your total income.

As for your savings, they can be used but there is no clear guidance on how savings can be converted into weekly income to meet the maintenance requirement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't get income support due to my savings, I don't have any rent or mortgage as the house is owned, I just feel like the uk government has destroyed alot of lives, don't they understand that not everybody who wants to come to the UK is coming for benefits and a free ride, my partner is a qualified accountant and she's worked too hard to just want to sit and not work, I'm really losing hope of a life in the UK with her but where do I draw the line at choosing between her or not putting my father in a care home

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Surely you get child tax credit and child benefit, and if you haven't applied, you should. Savings aren't taken into account when assessing eligibility for CTC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry Joppa, I got abit confused, the children aren't mine, they are hers in the US, so I guess all I can do is try with my carers allowance and the savings I have got, or put dad in a home and move to the US, thanks for your help guys, means alot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.