Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car window tinting

We have a new vehicle and I would like to get the windows tinted.

Can anyone give me advice as to what brands or vendors come recommended? Any vendors that should be avoided?

Ta,
C

·
Registered
30 Posts
They do that in a couple of hours in Deira City Center.

Just park on parking 3 and find the 3M counter (1st one on your left when you enter the shopping).

If you enter through the other door, next to Du and Etisalat, just turn right.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Another service that is highly recommended is VKool.

vkool

Honestly speaking though, I am not really sure how much of a difference VKool and 3M make in comparison to the off brand tints available a dime a dozen out here. Price wise it isn't even comparable but not sure if it's worth that much money.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Did you find out the hard way? lol

Lots of things are not "allowed" but people still do it. IE: tinting windshield, have to remove for inspection then have it done again :)
Rules, rules, rules. I have a leased company Pajeiro. 30% 3M tint.(Not on the windscreen). Not allowed according to the "rules". Taken by the lease company for testing and had to sign a disclaimer saying the tint may have to be removed for the test. Car returned later that day, serviced, tested, washed and tint still in place. Lease guy said no worries.

Ho hum.;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everybody who took the time to answer.

Just an FYI - best deal I have found so far: Yelowhat has a Ramadan special on tinting. Less 20% if you spend under 1000 AED and less 25% if you spend more than 1000 AED.

3M FX 35 at 750 AED and 3M CS 35 1200 AED for Pajero sized vehicle (minus the discounts above)

Will have a look at Al Tayer (thanks whatsup!)

C

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Honestly speaking though, I am not really sure how much of a difference VKool and 3M make in comparison to the off brand tints available a dime a dozen out here. Price wise it isn't even comparable but not sure if it's worth that much money.
No experience with 3M but I have had VKool in the past, and it definitely made a big difference when applied on all windows (clear transparent for front windshield), including sunroof.

The film does block some electronic signal going thru (GPS, radar, etc) so I had to install an external GPS antenna for my Garmin.

Sold that car (with VKool) years ago before Salik came around so don't know if that will interfere much or not.

Just bought a new car during Ramadan special, so planning to get it tinted when back from vacation. Any feedback on 3M is appreciated... If not, I will get VKool minus the clear transparent for front windshield.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Rules, rules, rules. I have a leased company Pajeiro. 30% 3M tint.(Not on the windscreen). Not allowed according to the "rules". Taken by the lease company for testing and had to sign a disclaimer saying the tint may have to be removed for the test. Car returned later that day, serviced, tested, washed and tint still in place. Lease guy said no worries.

Ho hum.;)

Did the tint place ask any questions when you brought it in for tinting or just pay and go.

I lease a car and would like to get it tinted but was not sure if it would be a hassle.

Thanks...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Did the tint place ask any questions when you brought it in for tinting or just pay and go.

I lease a car and would like to get it tinted but was not sure if it would be a hassle.

Thanks...
Had mine done by 3M at Dubai Mall. Over two years old now and no issues. Did a great job in about 45mins on a Pajeiro LWB. The lease company don't mind (DiamondLease) but warned that the RTA may kick off at test time and ask for it to be removed. As it turned out they never even noticed. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sold that car (with VKool) years ago before Salik came around so don't know if that will interfere much or not.
No interference whatsoever.

Just bought a new car during Ramadan special, so planning to get it tinted when back from vacation. Any feedback on 3M is appreciated... If not, I will get VKool minus the clear transparent for front windshield.
Had Vkool for many years, so finally decided to try 3M this time around (slightly cheaper than Vkool). I don't notice much of a difference really (as they explained, the difference may be in signal interference) for the same level of tint, heat reduction and UV block. I got my 3M installed in RAK under 90 minutes for a 1000 dhs cheaper than Dubai for a SUV including front windshield :)

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Go to sharjah and pay 60 to 80 dirhams.... It will start to fade and next year, go do it again, but have to cough up an extra 20 dirhams for the removal of the old stuff. We had five vehicles tinted with the cheap stuff, and three of them a year later didnt fade. Luck of the draw I guess but still better then the ridiculous 750 dirham + from the 3m or other so called premium brands that are still paying their people the same mediocre salaries of 6to800 dirhams a months.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Did you find out the hard way? lol

Lots of things are not "allowed" but people still do it. IE: tinting windshield, have to remove for inspection then have it done again :)
Yes. I had the tint installed in 2011 and then in 2012 they changed the rule and made it retro-active. So I had to pay to remove it.

Had it done at Al Tayer Ford and they are douchebags. They installed the tint and when I had to remove it, they said that removal of the back window will damage the sensors, antennae, etc. and that I would have to pay to fix it. Way to stand by your work, Ford. This crap would never have happened in the USA, but it happens here since they were lazy and took the easy way when installing the tint. They simply placed the tint on the window over the antennae and defrosters instead of cutting the strips and placing it in the proper way.

Thanks for everybody who took the time to answer.

Just an FYI - best deal I have found so far: Yelowhat has a Ramadan special on tinting. Less 20% if you spend under 1000 AED and less 25% if you spend more than 1000 AED.

3M FX 35 at 750 AED and 3M CS 35 1200 AED for Pajero sized vehicle (minus the discounts above)

Will have a look at Al Tayer (thanks whatsup!)

C
That is pretty pricey. You need to check out some of the stores in Satwa or Karama.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Go to sharjah and pay 60 to 80 dirhams.... It will start to fade and next year, go do it again, but have to cough up an extra 20 dirhams for the removal of the old stuff. We had five vehicles tinted with the cheap stuff, and three of them a year later didnt fade. Luck of the draw I guess but still better then the ridiculous 750 dirham + from the 3m or other so called premium brands that are still paying their people the same mediocre salaries of 6to800 dirhams a months.
What she and Indo said ... For the difference in price I am not sure that it's worth it to go for VKool or 3M ...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I got my 3M installed in RAK under 90 minutes for a 1000 dhs cheaper than Dubai for a SUV including front windshield :)
Since you mentioned 1000 dhs less, may I ask what is the actual cost (in RAK) since I thought 3M installation would be in 1000-range ?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
For the difference in price I am not sure that it's worth it to go for VKool or 3M ...
I am far from a snob, but for me personally, I can't see these going together: buy a nice luxury car + install 80-dhs tint that will fade and look like **** in a year, invest more time to re-install same tint over and over each year... :)

Besides, the cheap tint serves no purpose other an ineffective "colored shade" (like cheap sunglasses bought at gas stations) when a good tint is supposed to block UV.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Since you mentioned 1000 dhs less, may I ask what is the actual cost (in RAK) since I thought 3M installation would be in 1000-range ?
tinting for sedans would be much cheaper than SUVs. The prices below are what I got while shopping around (Vkool from SZR branch, and 3M from YellowHat, both places offered 15% discount and front windscreen is calculated separately).

Even after discount, I still paid 1000 dhs less in RAK as I also took the 3M Crystalline Clear film. IMO, 1900dhs is quite pricy still (but not outrageous like in Dubai), but being a large international company, I trust their product have what they said it has. I am not brave enough to run to Sharjah for the no name Chinese films (I am assuming that's what they are), dark tint is nice, but I am looking for the true UV block and the heat reduction factors.

4 sides + rear for SUVs: Vkool vs 3M

30% Tint - 30% heat reduction/ 99 % UV rejection x 1200

30% Tint - 50% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection 1350 x

30% Tint - 60% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection 2550 2100

20% Tint - 70% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection 3650 x

30% Tint - 80% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection 4200 x

Front 0% Tint – 70% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection 1350 x

Front 0% Tint – 90% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection x 1400

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
4 sides + rear for SUVs: Vkool vs 3M

30% Tint - 30% heat reduction/ 99 % UV rejection x 1200

30% Tint - 50% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection 1350 x

30% Tint - 60% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection 2550 2100

20% Tint - 70% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection 3650 x

30% Tint - 80% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection 4200 x

Front 0% Tint – 70% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection 1350 x

Front 0% Tint – 90% heat reduction/ 99% UV rejection x 1400
Thanks for the break down.

I vaguely remember the full VKool installation was about $1000 for the Patrol but it was 8-9 years ago, so wasn't sure...

I wonder how heat reduction % vary since 99% UV rejection for all... :confused:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.