Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi looking for advice,
will be away from my apartment for 4 or 5 months and looking for best way to keep my diesel fit and ready on my return. Its sheltered, so whats best, covered or uncovered etc etc, would appreciate any information,
cheers

John

·
Registered
127 Posts
It could be said that it will be standing for 4 or 5 months whether you are there or not - in other words it will be subject to the same sun, rain, wind, dust etc. The difference is that the battery wont be charging for a while, the tires wont be moving (and could develope flat spots, but unlikely over that time) and you can provide a custom cover to help protect the paintwork and the tire sidewalls.
I have occasionaly left my car for a few years, albeit garaged, and raised the car on purpose made stools to avoid tires flatspotting, filled the petrol tanks and added fuel stabilizer, removed the battery to a cool place in the house, handbrake off. Oh, and suspended Road Fund Licence and received credit for current year, and amended insurance to fire and theft with some savings! Make sure all windows closed securely against insects, and hang mothballs inside and in the engine compartment to deter insects, and rats from chewing electrical wires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts