Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is really just for those Brits who summer in Spain

Basically if your car was first registered before 2010, now's the time to trade it in for a brand new car taking advantage of Voltswagon, Toyota, BMW, Ford, Hyundai, Renault-Nissan, Kia, Mercedes-Benz and Vauxhall's,
very own vehicle scrappage schemes, all launched today in the UK.

Toyota for instance is offering up to £4,000 off many of their new models on any car that's older than
7 years old & they don't have to be diesel or their own brand cars either.
Even bearing in mind you would have to change your new UK car to Spanish plates,
within 6 months of arriving in Spain, the above trade in values on your old cars
would more than outway any cost in changing it to Spanish plates.

No doubt many Brits will be trading in their old petrol driven cars for Hybids or better to become green friendly
with these deals.

Anyway to qualify for these deals, your UK registered car must be older than 7 years old and first registered,
as well as currently registered with the DVLA and therefore still on UK plates & you must have owned
the car for more than 6 months.

BBC News - Car makers offer scrappage deals in race for new customers

The above offers would no doubt also be of interest to those Brits, thinking of moving to Spain and bringing
their old UK car with them.
Why do that ? when you can trade it in for a brand new one, under the above Car Scrappage scheme's
before leaving the UK, so long as you don't mind driving a RHD car in Spain after converting to
Spanish plates, of course.
Although the other incentive is that ( unlike the MOT - where none's required on only the first 3 years after your brand new cars registered ) you still get the first 3 years free with the ITV and then you
only have to re-ITV it, once every 2 years after that until its older than 10 years old, of course.

Suffice to say none of the above big name Car manufacturers are ( so far ) offering any such deals in
Spain, so let's all boo and hiss at them now !!!

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
The Spanish government had (has) a similar scheme, we got €2000 when we traded in our old Vauxhall Meriva for a new Opel Meriva EcoFlex two years ago.

I'm glad the manufacturers are taking this on rather than the government having to subsidise it.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Suffice to say none of the above big name Car manufacturers are ( so far ) offering any such deals in
Spain, so let's all boo and hiss at them now !!!
I don't know if any are doing it now, but they have done it for years and years in the past. It was the only way to keep car sales going during the crisis! (from 2008 onwards)

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Spanish government had (has) a similar scheme, we got €2000 when we traded in our old Vauxhall Meriva for a new Opel Meriva EcoFlex two years ago.

I'm glad the manufacturers are taking this on rather than the government having to subsidise it.
Agreed - no doubt the car manufacturers are 'feeling the heat' now after the Voltswagen diesel emissions scandal with governments looking to them to do more to get older vehicles off the road, in favour of newer, more environmentally
friendly cars.
It might even be a 'win, win' for those car manufacturers offering these new deals now, in the face of recent steady
declines in new car sales across Europe, as well as the UK.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Ask yourself "how much does it take to mass produce an automobile" and the retail price.

If you have ever bought a new car you either have been ripped off by the manufacturer and the government to actually drive it.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ask yourself "how much does it take to mass produce an automobile" and the retail price.

If you have ever bought a new car you either have been ripped off by the manufacturer and the government to actually drive it.
Yes whenever a car salesman approaches me with an offer on a new car - I'm always cheeky enough to
ask, well could you prove the reliability of the new car you want me to buy - by one of you guys
taking it out on a 500 mile ( or 500 kilometer ) test drive for me.

That way, so long as there were no breakdowns or needed any other form of attention during
the long test drive - yes I'll be seriously interested - provided a couple of 1,000 pounds or Euros
has been knocked off the showroom price following the test drive, of course.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think it is a way towards eventually getting everyone to go electric in Britain. But most folk cannot afford a new car
Yes I for one will be holding on steadfastly to my Ford Fiesta ( 11 years old but still going strong ;) ) until one of the
big car dealers begs me to accept £10,000 or the Euro equivalent, as part exchange for a new Environmentally
friendly car of my choice.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Yes I for one will be holding on steadfastly to my Ford Fiesta ( 11 years old but still going strong ;) ) until one of the
big car dealers begs me to accept £10,000 or the Euro equivalent, as part exchange for a new Environmentally
friendly car of my choice.
I am afraid that the government of the country you live in will force you to stop driving your old banger.... Thank the Paris Climate Pact for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts