Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just come back from my house in Spain feeling rather gutted.
We in the past have rented at Malaga Airport cars from the usual large companies
This time l tried a different company /SNIP/ .The website said cars at cheaper prices than others etc.
I booked a Fiesta for 8 days. The cost was £47.
Now l knew they want you to have a separate insurance for wheels and windscreen. god knows why because it clearly states FULLY INSURED. On arrival at Malaga, there was a lenghty queue in a very sweaty office under the carpark.
We were offered the said extra insurance which l accepted. they then said you will need breakdown cover. etc. Also bring back the car empty as any fuel left in it will not be refunded. When we received the invoice what was seemingly a good deal ended up a vast bill more than all the others. 217 euro's in fact. 73 euro's of that was for the fuel. I doubt very much a Fiesta actually can take 73 Eur's of fuel.
I will definately go back to other companies after this.
Lessoned learn (cheapest is not always the best)
Anybody had similar experiences?

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
I have just come back from my house in Spain feeling rather gutted.
We in the past have rented at Malaga Airport cars from the usual large companies
This time l tried a different company /SNIP/ .The website said cars at cheaper prices than others etc.
I booked a Fiesta for 8 days. The cost was £47.
Now l knew they want you to have a separate insurance for wheels and windscreen. god knows why because it clearly states FULLY INSURED. On arrival at Malaga, there was a lenghty queue in a very sweaty office under the carpark.
We were offered the said extra insurance which l accepted. they then said you will need breakdown cover. etc. Also bring back the car empty as any fuel left in it will not be refunded. When we received the invoice what was seemingly a good deal ended up a vast bill more than all the others. 217 euro's in fact. 73 euro's of that was for the fuel. I doubt very much a Fiesta actually can take 73 Eur's of fuel.
I will definately go back to other companies after this.
Lessoned learn (cheapest is not always the best)
Anybody had similar experiences?
this is something which many companies seem to do :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
We had an awful experience with /SNIP/ in the summer - queued for 2 and a half hours before getting the car then they stung us for the usual insurance, plus the full to empty fuel policy. Never again.
A couple of weeks ago we returned to Spain and booked through Economy Car Hire - an agent - which resulted in us using CarGest as the rental company. Wonderful! We paid £107 for 9 days, did not get badgered into buying extra insurance, 2nd driver was free, and the fuel policy is full to full - so you only pay for the fuel you put in to re-full the vehicle. They are situated just outside the airport opposite the San Miguel factory - very quick transfer to and from airport. Will definitely be using them again.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It seems to be getting worse with the car hire companies. In the race to the bottom that is being the cheapest on the broker's websites they are hiding as much as possible of the actual cost.. or trying to make it back afterwards.

Many people are aware that the zero-excess cover doesn't cover a lot of the things you may need to claim for so they (like I) use third party companies like Car Hire Insurance | Cheap Car Hire Insurance | UK which are much cheaper than the extra insurance the rental company try to sell.

The latest is the rental company tell you that without their insurance you don't get breakdown cover and if you breakdown it's €350 for the tow truck. This is despite the broker saying you get this with the contract.

The problem is of course that everyone picks the cheapest and the car hire companies can't compete unless they charge too little to actually run the business.

Malaga car rental is a lottery.. sometimes no queue, others.. hours with the same company. Depends on the flights I imagine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts