Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right looks like things will be moving forward fairly quickly, I've been looking at getting my current car shipped to Australia 2000 BMW 740i, The costs and hassle associated with it seem to be more than the value of the car (probably about £3000 on a good day)

I looked at going down the Carnet du Passage route and just driving it on UK plates for 12 months but wasn't sure about getting proper insurance cover etc,

Having looked at prices of similar vehicles in Australia I simply wouldn't be able to buy a decent car outright as they are so expensive and one the same as mine would be over 10k sterling.

What would be your recommendations as I will need a car quite quickly after arriving?

Is it possible to either lease or buy a second hand car on finance with a 457 visa I'm planning on staying in Australia for good?

Also how much would I be looking at in repayments if this was the case? (I would probably want to go for something like a bmw 118d or maybe a 3 series of some description.

Sorry about all the questions I like to get everything sorted before I do anything.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi dnz,

Not only do you have to work out your shipping costs but also any luxury car tax and how to get it on the road in the state where you'll be living. There is also basic insurance included in the car registration (at least in South Australia so you'll need to check it for your state) and you may want more comprehensive insurance too.

Check under the 'Importing vehicles' title in the 'PLEASE READ....' sticky post for more details. We imported a 1971 Ford Mustang and certainly wouldn't have if we'd have known about the hoops we'd had to jump through (if you do a search you'll find them).

Regards,
Karen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts