Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You can find answer to this and several other similar question in Sticky post by Dolly. However, I am posting this again for your convenience.

Dolly Wrote in her post:
Registration (rego) includes a compulsory insurance, known as the Green Slip, to cover Injury to third parties. It covers the owner or driver of the motor vehicle in the event of an accident against any legal liability or obligation that they may have to anyone that they injure, it only covers personal injury and NOT damage to other property, cars etc. Most people take out insurance on top of this, similar to the cover they would have had in the UK.

Fully comprehensive insurance is usually cheaper than you would expect to pay for the same cover in the UK, and if you find the right company they will honour your UK no claims (make sure you brought evidence of it with you). You may not be required to produce evidence of your no claims to take out the insurance, but if you have an accident you are likely to be asked for it, so it is advisable to keep it on file.

AAMI - Car Insurance Australia - AAMI Car Insurance Quotes - CTP Insurance - AAMI
Budget Direct - Car Insurance Australia – Multi Award Winning Car Insurance and Online Quotes – Budget Direct
ING - ING Car Insurance
NRMA - NRMA Insurance - NRMA Motoring & Services
RACQ - rac.com.au/go/insurance/motor

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi everyone we just wondering what company has the best car insurance in melbourne??
Hi Richie,

I just got my car insurance done and we used AAMI they were by far the cheapest I went through various companies entering my details and they came back as the cheapest.

Have you got a car yet?

weelee

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
insurance

Hi Lee .yes we got a car but we wont have it till next week. did you have to tax the car and is so how and where? How are you finding the place so far? i got a job so things are starting to get a bit better for us.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Lee .yes we got a car but we wont have it till next week. did you have to tax the car and is so how and where? How are you finding the place so far? i got a job so things are starting to get a bit better for us.
Hi Richie,

the car had registration onit when we picked it up dont have to do anything till june next year so we will worry about that then, what car did you get I bet you are looking forward to picking it up. We are loving it here finally we feel we have found the place we are meant to be but saying that Skype has a lot to answer for that has been a godsend.

good luck and keep in touch

weelee

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we got the new 40th anniversary honda civic, cant wait as i am sick of walking and using the trams and trains, they are handy but to get to work its a problem. i have to get up at 4 in the morning to be in for 6!! skype is brilliant it makes things a lot easier.

·
Registered
541 Posts
we got the new 40th anniversary honda civic, cant wait as i am sick of walking and using the trams and trains, they are handy but to get to work its a problem. i have to get up at 4 in the morning to be in for 6!! skype is brilliant it makes things a lot easier.
richie.....
Lucky man got a Civic in the short time.
.......................................................................................................................

TRA Positive September 2007
Applied Visa 175 April 2008 (Paper visa MODL, CSL ,)
Got CO and Medicals July 2009
MEDICALS and PCC finalized July 30th 2009
Job Verification November 10th 2009
175 VISA GRANDED 22nd December 2009

·
Registered
84 Posts
does car insurance in Australia use a 'no claims bonus' system like the uk and if so will they accept proof of claim free driving from the UK?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
does car insurance in Australia use a 'no claims bonus' system like the uk and if so will they accept proof of claim free driving from the UK?
Yes it does.

We made sure to get letters from our insurers in the UK or something that stated our no claims bonus. However when we signed up here for car insurance they simply took our word for it and we didn't have to prove it - not sure if that is usual or not.

Regards,
Karen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts