Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just relocated to the UK on a fiance visa 3 weeks ago.

We purchased a 2005 Audi A3 for me to drive last weekend and proceeded to obtain car insurance for the vehicle. We specified my fiance (-who is a UK citizen) as the primary driver and me as a secondary driver on the policy. His insurance broker quoted him a policy that would cost £2,000/year!

Can anyone refer us to an insurance agency that might offer better rates?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I just relocated to the UK on a fiance visa 3 weeks ago.

We purchased a 2005 Audi A3 for me to drive last weekend and proceeded to obtain car insurance for the vehicle. We specified my fiance (-who is a UK citizen) as the primary driver and me as a secondary driver on the policy. His insurance broker quoted him a policy that would cost £2,000/year!

Can anyone refer us to an insurance agency that might offer better rates?
There are literally squilllions of insurance comparison websites on the internet. comparethemarket.com, confused.com, elephant.com, moneysupermarket.com, gocompare.com.............. are just a few that spring to mind! Shop around, you're bound to find a good deal and you do it all on line!

jo xxx

·
Registered
267 Posts
without knowing your age and driving history it is hard to know if the quote you have been given is high (it sounds alot though).

Jojo is correct try the multi comparison sites mentioned. the cost of named drivers in genral is going up to try and stop parents insuring there kids cars in their names.

Strickly speaking if you are the main driver the car should be insured in your name or it will not be covered.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Strickly speaking if you are the main driver the car should be insured in your name or it will not be covered.
Yes, the ruse of putting the less risky driver as the main driver to get a lower quote when in fact the less experienced is the chief user of the car is called 'fronting', and is illegal. You can find a claim being turned down when the actual 'main' driver causes an accident, and you can be prosecuted for procuring a certificate of insurance (i.e. insurance cover) giving false information, under the Road Traffic Act.
Nationality usally has minimum effect on premium - it's the length of claim-free UK drivng experience which matters most (which earns you no-claim discount, typically up to 65%), as well as age, occupation, motoring convictions and where you live.
Audi A3 can be an expensive car to insure, as the more sportier version falls in Group 15 (1 the cheapest, 20 the most expensive). Try to find a more mainstream car such as Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra, which typically falls into Group 5 or 6.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.