Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A British friend who holds a British driving licence plus an Egyptian one has just returned from the UK and was refused a hire care on the grounds that when checking the address on his British licence he was found not to be on the electoral roll. They would not accept his Egyptian licence, He has been told that you must be on the electoral roll or hold an international licence.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
A British friend who holds a British driving licence plus an Egyptian one has just returned from the UK and was refused a hire care on the grounds that when checking the address on his British licence he was found not to be on the electoral roll. They would not accept his Egyptian licence, He has been told that you must be on the electoral roll or hold an international licence.
This is very interesting, because so many people hang on to their UK driving licence when they leave the country, and then ask about visiting the UK and using their old licence.

If I remember correctly there have been responses that you CAN drive using your old licence with your old address.

Seems like this is no longer the case if you have been removed from the electoral roll.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is very interesting, because so many people hang on to their UK driving licence when they leave the country, and then ask about visiting the UK and using their old licence.

If I remember correctly there have been responses that you CAN drive using your old licence with your old address.

Seems like this is no longer the case if you have been removed from the electoral roll.

Exactly.. my friend has rented his house out whilst he is working overseas so of course his tenant is the name on the electoral role.

G

·
Thats odd. I can understand them not accepting his British licence in a way, risk and insurance etc. But not accepting his Egyptian one? Surely the majority of tourists do not hold international licences?

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats odd. I can understand them not accepting his British licence in a way, risk and insurance etc. But not accepting his Egyptian one? Surely the majority of tourists do not hold international licences?

I would be surprised if they would accept a Egyptian one.. it is a 5 minute test and you can actually pay someone to take it for you, plus your medical lol

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Tourists dont need an international licence, it is only British people who want to hire a car when their name is not on the electoral role under the address on their licence,

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You can drive using your licence.. you cannot hire a car,

G

·
Not sure lol But they would assess what is available to them according to the insurers rules, electoral roll being one if they're using a British licence.

Hysterical being a 5 min test, glad I dont have to drive there!

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holders of any licence that does not show the current address must also produce proof of current address in the form of a Current Credit Finance Agreement, Current Utilities Bill, or Current Bank Statement. All renters with a UK home address will need to pass an Experian Authenticate check as verification of residence at their given address. Any customer failing an Authenticate check will not be allowed to rent. If there is an unsatisfactory search result you will need to provide paper-based proof of identity such as a Current Credit Finance Agreement, Current Utilities Bill, or Current Bank Statement that is less than 4 months old when you pick up the vehicle from the Rental Station.

·
Administrator
50,066 Posts
Over on the French forum, one of our posters mentioned that a UK driving license is invalid if the holder is not resident at the address on the license. This appears to apply only in the UK, as technically a license from any EU country should be valid for driving in any other country in the EU (at least according to EU regulations).

What I don't understand is why they wouldn't accept his Egyptian license if he is legally resident there. (Unless it has to do with the license not being in a western alphabet or something like that.)

I've rented car with no problem in the US using my European driving licenses. How do native born Egyptians rent cars in the UK?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Over on the French forum, one of our posters mentioned that a UK driving license is invalid if the holder is not resident at the address on the license. This appears to apply only in the UK, as technically a license from any EU country should be valid for driving in any other country in the EU (at least according to EU regulations).

What I don't understand is why they wouldn't accept his Egyptian license if he is legally resident there. (Unless it has to do with the license not being in a western alphabet or something like that.)

I've rented car with no problem in the US using my European driving licenses. How do native born Egyptians rent cars in the UK?
Cheers,
Bev

Yes that is correct, a licence issued in an EU country is valid for driving in any other EU country.

I would honestly hope that Egyptians are refused car hire, my Egyptian doctor told me about his friend who is also a doctor who was driving on the German autobahn and missed his slip off road, so he reversed to get on to it, the German police arrested him and he had to go for some sort of mental health test as the police told him, only someone insane would reverse on an autobahn... but they all do it here, even drive the wrong way down a one way street that runs beside my local police station.

I have a UK driving licence that is registered at my friends house, this is the house I use when I stay in the UK. I do not have residency in Egypt .
I am a frequent car hirer at Glasgow airport or at least was, I have nothing with my UK address on it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.