Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Something like a Garmin will be expensive compared to the west. I'm not aware of any consummer laws in the Philippines and if there are they certainly are not enforced. If you do buy anything expensive try and make sure it has an international guarantee, otherwise your pretty much on your own.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Still on the subject of ‘Car hire and getting around the Philippines’, does anyone know where we could purchase a new Garmin GPS in the Ph? Are there chains similar to the USA’s ‘Best Buy’ in the Ph? I’m thinking along the lines that if we do purchase a Garmin, it would be sensible to buy it from a reputable chain. That way, if something goes wrong with the device on our travels, we may be able to visit another branch to get assistance in resolving the problem, without having to return to the city of purchase. Wishful thinking or a possibility?
Can't you get one in Ireland and load the Philippines map from Garmin's website before you go? I'd doubt it breaking there would be an issue with proper care. Had mine 8 yrs and no issues.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Can't you get one in Ireland and load the Philippines map from Garmin's website before you go? I'd doubt it breaking there would be an issue with proper care. Had mine 8 yrs and no issues.
cvgtpc1, thanks for the comment. Certain models will not accept maps of Asia. We recently sold an older model because of this. Yes, we could purchase a new one in UK but (a) from a guarantee and repair perspective, it’s usually better to purchase the item in the country where one plans on living and (b) we're really keen on keeping the weight of our luggage down; every little bit soon adds up.

It’s a little concerning to read other members’ comments about poor customer service when it comes to returning goods etc. in the PH. Still, it is what it is and we expect the benefits of living in the Philippines to outweigh the negatives.

We’re also aware that a GPS can usually be hired with the vehicle for approx. PHP 120 per day; more food for thought.

·
Registered
271 Posts
GOOGLE car, van for rent with driver, Philippines, I'm sure you will be able to cut a deay with one of them for the entire 59 days to take you where ever you want to go.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Car Rental – Thinking outside the box

GOOGLE car, van for rent with driver, Philippines, I'm sure you will be able to cut a deay with one of them for the entire 59 days to take you where ever you want to go.
Pakawala, I’ve already googled ‘car rental’ and one tends to end up with much the same results as googling ‘car rental with driver’. Thanks all the same.
No problem, apart from the fact that the rates being charged by these car hire companies are very high, with or without a driver.

We aren’t looking to rent a car in Manila, but rather Cebu and Davao. At the lower end of the market, the average daily rate for a Toyoto Vios 1.3L appears to be around the PHP 2,800 mark. With a driver, you’re talking another 70% or so on top. These are crazy prices, especially when you consider what has been said in previous posts about the unknown quantity of the driver, other associated costs and the overall pros and cons. I appreciate that one can ‘haggle’ down the price and I have no problem on that front. However, we really aren’t looking to rent a car for the whole 59 days. For example, we would stay in Manila for 3-4 days to ‘acclimatise’ and perhaps another 3-4 days on our way out. Nor do we want to be driving around every single day, so the benefits gained by booking ‘long term’ would be offset by days sitting around the hotel/ beach etc. not using the car. If the daily/ weekly rates are reasonable, one doesn’t mind having the car sitting around for a day or two doing nothing; not so with these rates.

Anyhow, I’ve just remembered what we did years ago in India and in some other countries. We used to ‘suss out’ a decent English-speaking taxi driver and then negotiate a deal to rent him and his vehicle for the day. This was never too difficult a task as these guys usually prefer to get a job with one customer rather than hunt around the city all day competing with other taxi drivers for fares. Taxi drivers aren’t daft, so with the prospect of further days taxi hire, they are usually very keen to please by providing a decent service. The end result, we were usually happy and so was the taxi driver. On one occasion, I recall we chose the wrong driver (no need to go into details), no big problem, we simply said goodbye at the end of the day and chose a different one two days later.

All things considered, I’d be very surprised if we can’t do a similar deal with an enterprising taxi driver in Cebu and other cities for between PHP 1,000-1,500 per day, with the promise of more work. Even if we had to pay more, it would still end up cheaper that renting the car ourselves and certainly cheaper than renting one with a driver. Moreover, we only need to hire the taxi as and when we need it. This concept would also negate the problem of having an accident if we were driving. Finally, we get ourselves a local taxi driver who will certainly know his way around. The key is choosing a good guy. At this stage, I would say problem solved! It's good to talk/ share ideas.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Anyhow, I’ve just remembered what we did years ago in India and in some other countries. We used to ‘suss out’ a decent English-speaking taxi driver and then negotiate a deal to rent him and his vehicle for the day. This was never too difficult a task as these guys usually prefer to get a job with one customer rather than hunt around the city all day competing with other taxi drivers for fares. Taxi drivers aren’t daft, so with the prospect of further days taxi hire, they are usually very keen to please by providing a decent service. The end result, we were usually happy and so was the taxi driver. On one occasion, I recall we chose the wrong driver (no need to go into details), no big problem, we simply said goodbye at the end of the day and chose a different one two days later.

All things considered, I’d be very surprised if we can’t do a similar deal with an enterprising taxi driver in Cebu and other cities for between PHP 1,000-1,500 per day, with the promise of more work. Even if we had to pay more, it would still end up cheaper that renting the car ourselves and certainly cheaper than renting one with a driver. Moreover, we only need to hire the taxi as and when we need it. This concept would also negate the problem of having an accident if we were driving. Finally, we get ourselves a local taxi driver who will certainly know his way around. The key is choosing a good guy. At this stage, I would say problem solved! It's good to talk/ share ideas.
Perfect idea! We've had the same price offered by taxis but never took them up on it.

In AC you can get a trike for a week for that much. Text when you need him.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I think 1000-1500 peso for a day is a bit ambitious but it's probably the way to go. When we are in the islands we just hire a van with driver day by day.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Taxi Driver – Negotiating a Daily Rate

I think 1000-1500 peso for a day is a bit ambitious but it's probably the way to go. When we are in the islands we just hire a van with driver day by day.
Gary D, I’ve been doing more research and 1,000 pesos would seem to be a very reasonable starting point for negotiation. Click on the link below, scroll down to the penultimate paragraph and check out the last sentence re daily rate. I have no intention of trying to rip off the taxi driver as these guys have to earn a living, but it’s always best to start negotiating from a lower rather than a higher price. Besides, I find that taxi drivers are usually very good at defending their own corner when it comes to pricing. Finally, there’s nothing stopping one from upping the price or adding a good tip at the end of the day, if and when you get good service. :)

Transport in Cebu City - Lonely Planet Travel Information

·
Registered
911 Posts
One thing I really recommend you bring are rechargable external battery packs you can plug a phone into in a pinch. Last trip I just happened to always be away from a power source and these would've been really handy. Now part of my travel kit.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts