Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have just started the process of registering my car onto Spanish plates and cannot believe the amount of tax I am being quoted, is there an official site I can go on to check the calculations?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Unless the UK car is really something special, I can never understand why people want to pay out a shed load of money to drive on the wrong side of the road!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
If you have owned the vehicle for less that six months, you will be taxed highly. If it is not a left hand drive vehicle, it is a bad deal anyway. There are lots of vehicles for sale in Spain of all ages go to www.autoscout24.es and see what is on offer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK guys, car is LHD, I have owned it for more than 6 months, and it pollutes a lot. Any chance anyone knows of the official site to check calcs?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hola

If you imported the car as part of your goods and chattels, starting the process within the 60 days of getting your Padron, there may be no tax payable !!!

Davexf
I have missed the 60 days(which I knew about) due to a delay in getting a CoC, dealer has cost me a lot, however the lawyer pointed to the date on my NIE (6.5 months ago) and said Hacienda would say this was proof I was in Spain then, but this was to open a bank account when we were house hunting.

Just can't win.

Advise to others, if you bring your car, start the process immediately as snags will occur and 60 days isn't long.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I have missed the 60 days(which I knew about) due to a delay in getting a CoC, dealer has cost me a lot, however the lawyer pointed to the date on my NIE (6.5 months ago) and said Hacienda would say this was proof I was in Spain then, but this was to open a bank account when we were house hunting.

Just can't win.

Advise to others, if you bring your car, start the process immediately as snags will occur and 60 days isn't long.
Good advice here.

I missed it too with the motorbike I brought over. Luckily low(ish) value so it didn't cost me too much in real terms...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you know what really hacks me off, well I shall tell you, the whole import tax is illegal under EU regs as you do not "import" your own property regardless of when you re-plate, but apparently the fines imposed on Spain are much less than the revenue raised, so why would they stop?

This applies to boats as well. Another country that just applies EU rules that suit it. Me bitter, never:)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Do you know what really hacks me off, well I shall tell you, the whole import tax is illegal under EU regs as you do not "import" your own property regardless of when you re-plate, but apparently the fines imposed on Spain are much less than the revenue raised, so why would they stop?

This applies to boats as well. Another country that just applies EU rules that suit it. Me bitter, never:)
Hola

The "import tax" is actually a "first registration tax" and is applicable to all cars in Spain. If you buy a brand new car then the tax is payable but normally included in the price quoted.

This is how Spain gets away with it.

Davexf

·
Registered
6,024 Posts

That's why Eu citizens do NOT pay import tax - it's a first registration tax

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's why Eu citizens do NOT pay import tax - it's a first registration tax
I accept that this is the case, but, why then is no tax payable if the process is completed within your first 30 (or is it 60) days in Spain, it is still it's first registration in Spain:confused:
:deadhorse:

·
Registered
801 Posts
I accept that this is the case, but, why then is no tax payable if the process is completed within your first 30 (or is it 60) days in Spain, it is still it's first registration in Spain:confused:
:deadhorse:
Hola

The reason is because it is part of "your goods and chattels" which it is presumed have already been taxed. As an EU member, Spain is not allowed to tax your belongings - but to get money will try every trick in the book - and they are very inventive LOL.

Davexf

1 - 14 of 14 Posts