Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously if the house sale, goes well , and we complete this side of 2014 then we are not liable to pay CGT next year in Spain, if we move before 2nd July. However I will have my NHS pension lump sum. That I will not get until January 1st 2014.

I know that if you reinvest in profit from house sales into a property in Spain then you pay CGT on the difference. My question is. If I receive the lump sum, and then use that to buy in Spain, does that count against the CGT?
I hope that rambling makes sense

·
Registered
765 Posts
Obviously if the house sale, goes well , and we complete this side of 2014 then we are not liable to pay CGT next year in Spain, if we move before 2nd July. However I will have my NHS pension lump sum. That I will not get until January 1st 2014. I know that if you reinvest in profit from house sales into a property in Spain then you pay CGT on the difference. My question is. If I receive the lump sum, and then use that to buy in Spain, does that count against the CGT? I hope that rambling makes sense
With regard to capital gains you can reinvest the net proceeds ( less adjustment for inflation) of the sale of your main residence two year before and two years after the sale. So if you sell on 1st January 2014 (and become tax resident in 2014) then you have until 1st January 2016 to reinvest the proceeds. Capital gains is payable on the amount you don't reinvest. If you don't sell then the lump sum will enable you to take two years to sell in the UK. Is that what you meant ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts