Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, I work for 1.5 years in my first job back in 1997-1999 as a mechanic, before leaving to go into IT industry. No I am back to being a mechanic I feel it is relevant experience, however the company has long since shut down as it was a small family workshop so I have no way of proving I worked there.

I even sent my mother round to my old bosses house but he apparently moved on some 6 years ago. :mad:

She did however find out that they actually sold the business on to a new owner but he moved it to a new site altogether and has no idea who I am.

So do I just leave it out of my work history

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Barry, if you got no way of proving it, letters, salary slips etc, u got no choice but to leave it. would you be knowing any colleagues from that time?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have nothing as it was so long ago, I don't keep in touch with any old work mates from there either but I may be able to track them down, how would that help?

Barry

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
They can give references. any old customers, they can give references too and you can give a stat dec stating the company has closed now

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have nothing as it was so long ago, I don't keep in touch with any old work mates from there either but I may be able to track them down, how would that help?

Barry
Yes, try and track old work mates down. 2 good places to start are facebook, and friendsreunited, if you remember their names of course :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if I get it right, I can get old workmates to do a Stat Dec that they worked with me or do I just need a reference letter from them?

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Barry I don't think there is a law in place that says you have to do anything, it really is up to your employer if he believes you or not... after all you could get signed statements from family members saying they worked with you.
I think your making too big an issue out of it, just explain to your prospective employer that you have experience in the field but the company is no longer existing. Why not offer to do a "test"
they could take you into a workshop and point to "things" and you could name them, you could look under a bonnet and name the parts... Lots of ways of showing you have had experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hahaha at "things", I suppose you are right. I wasn't so worried about a future employer doubting my experience as I could fairly easily convince them with my training record but I just wasn't sure what immigration would want as proof.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Aha I didn't realise it was for immigration. I don't know what you would need as I am in Egypt under diplomatic staff status. In these days of computers I would think it would be easy enough for the Inland revenue and N.I to give you a copy of your payments and who they were made through. Personally I would go for an interview with every piece of information I had, better safe than sorry.

Good luck x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts