Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wife is a biomedical scientist 50 with asthma. I'm 50 and have just found out ive got kidney disease. according to it ive had it all my life and its just been discovered and can easily be controlled with meds. here is the issue. is there an insurance company that will insure both myself and my wife as we now both have what they consider pre-existing conditions? and will either of us now be told we would be inadmissible to the usa on health grounds? its for immigration purposes not for a short holiday so not sure what the next step should be really.

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
Having pre-existing conditions won't cause any problems for entry to the US. But whether you can get health insurance once there is the (rather bigger) issue in your cases. Until and unless the ACA is rescinded, it's not an issue - however once that happens it really depends on what the replacement looks like. Various politicians have sworn that pre-existing conditions will be "covered" but at what cost is still a big unknown.

Of course, if you were moving to the US for employment, chances are your employer would cover the health insurance issue and you'd probably be able to qualify for Medicare if you worked to retirement age.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
Having pre-existing conditions won't cause any problems for entry to the US. But whether you can get health insurance once there is the (rather bigger) issue in your cases. Until and unless the ACA is rescinded, it's not an issue - however once that happens it really depends on what the replacement looks like. Various politicians have sworn that pre-existing conditions will be "covered" but at what cost is still a big unknown.

Of course, if you were moving to the US for employment, chances are your employer would cover the health insurance issue and you'd probably be able to qualify for Medicare if you worked to retirement age.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Uscis.gov gives details on medical exam and disqualifying diseases/illnesses.

Pre-existing is not a disqualifier for medical insurance coverage.

Will you be immigration via employment? Then request full disclosures in regards to medical insurance being offered. This is standard operating procedure. Somewhat boring reading but do it and ask questions.

Otherwise there are numerous carriers on the market. Start with on-line research. I recommend using a local broker with access to a variety of carriers and their programs for starters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts