Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Currently working out the best way to make our move from Lanzarote across to Spain. We have a Canarian registered car which is taxed, itv'd & insured. Does anyone know if we can just bring it over & use it permanently there just changing the insurance & registration documents, or can we only use it on the mainland for a certain amount of time ? Thanks in advance for any help & advice

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hola
When you say taxed ITV'd do you mean in Canada or in Spain? You can import a car from anywhere in the world in theory - but there is a cost!

One point most people don't know is that the tyres must be European to import the car - having done several American cars (mainly Jeeps) - the cost of tyres can be around 1,000€

Davexf

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Hola
When you say taxed ITV'd do you mean in Canada or in Spain? You can import a car from anywhere in the world in theory - but there is a cost!

One point most people don't know is that the tyres must be European to import the car - having done several American cars (mainly Jeeps) - the cost of tyres can be around 1,000€

Davexf
.... time for specsavers Dave!!! :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Davexf it's a car from the Canary Islands, so technically Spanish, but I know there are import taxes to pay from mainland to here so wasn't sure if the same applied the other way

·
Registered
64 Posts
Davexf it's a car from the Canary Islands, so technically Spanish, but I know there are import taxes to pay from mainland to here so wasn't sure if the same applied the other way
Hi Ziggy the short answer is YES the same applies the other way.

The Canary Islands are deemed to be a special territory of Spain. They are considered inside the EU for import duty but not for VAT.

Therefore let me address each one separately.

IMPORT DUTY

Goods which are in free circulation of the EU can move freely between member states without attracting additional import duty. I assume that as the car is on Spanish plates it has had import duty paid on it when it was first imported into the Canary Islands. When the car arrives on the Mainland the customs officer will need to know if it is in free circulation or not. The form needed to confirm this is a T2-LF which will need to be completed at time of export and stamped by customs in he Canary Islands. When this form is presented at import not the mainland no additional import duty is payable.

VAT
As mentioned above the Canary Islands are not in the EU for VAT. Therefore would not be excluded from Spanish VAT even though it has l ready been subject to VAT in the Canary Islands.

However I do believe that there is an exclusion from import VAT for new residents of thier personal belongings (a car is a personal beloning). The requirement being
- you have lived outside the EU for more than 12 months (even though the Canary Islands are a special territory of the Spain and inside the EU for duty as they are outside the EU for VAT I would say that this applies)
- you he owned and used the gods for more than 6 months
- you do not sell the goods within 12 months of import
- they are imposed within 1 year of residence I the country.

I have not found the Spanish rule on this yet. Here is the UK rules see section 5. Should be applicable likewise I Spain as it is implementing EU directives.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-motor-vehicle-to-the-uk-from-outside-the-ec

I strongle recommend you discussing this with one or more customs agent at the port where you will be leaving the Canary Island and hopefully they will he an office or partnership office on the mainland who can deal with the import documentation there. Although there should be no duty or VAT to be paid there will be an administration charge by the customs agent for the export and import declarations. I would also suggest getting quotes from a few brokers. I would assume that this is a regular occurance so they should be familiar with the requirements and the regulations.

·
Registered
518 Posts
This is great information as people might try and sell their Canarian registered car on the mainland without knowing about this, or knowing but wanting to sell to avoid the tax.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts