Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I was reading this forum for quite some time. Especially the topics that have anything to do with Canadian taxes on money earned in UAE.

From what I understood, the only way to not pay taxes is to claim non resident , meaning not having and family ties, property etc... On top of that good idea is NOT filling in and sending the non-residency status form to CRA or N73 (Correct me if I'm wrong with the number).

However one of the questions that I want to figure out is the actual procedure.

The CRA website states that in order to be considered as a non resident for tax purposes you need to stay in Canada for lat least 183 days a year.

So let's say I will decide to accept the job offer from UAE employer in September which is the 9 th month of the year so yes for the tax year of 2012 I will be considered as a resident. Which will lead to paying taxes on all of mine income and filling for taxes.

Will I need to include the income earned in UAE for the year 2012 between the September end December?

And would I need to fill any tax papers for the year 2013? Since all the time that year I'm planing on working in UAE, so I definitively will be out of Canada for more then 183 days. So not being in the country and cutting all the ties with Canada will still require me to fill out tax form?

Thank you for you help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for replying back!

W_man I see. From what I understood there is a section in tax forms where I would need to state that I'm not resident. Am I right? I guess contacting accountant who knows the non- resident tax laws is a good idea. Can you recommend someone? I'm in Toronto.

Canuck_Sens I don't have any investments. I'm a single student with no dependents, who lives with parents and finishes the college really soon lol. So I guess for me there is no point for NR73 form since I have no rrsp, tfic etc... Am I right? Does banking account and any outstanding debt on it like: line of credit, credit card debt considered to be a serious tie to Canada? And what about OSAP loan that I would need to pay off after college, would it be considered as a serious tie as well? Lastly, If I don't have any investments in Canada in 2013 it means no need to file the taxes. Right?

Nitro_From_Windsor Thanks for reply. Yeah, I will definitely consult with accountant in regards of non resident tax. So you didn't send in the NR73 form? Have you ever visited Canada ever since? If so, did you have any problems with the customs?

Thank you guys so much for answering! It makes a picture more clear to me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.