Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
So you got two answers with people who have certain ties to Canada and how to go about doing taxes then. I, on the other hand, declared non-residency, got rid of all my things and came here. To begin with, I didn't have too many things in my name back home. I transferred my car to my dad's name, gave up my health card (for which I had to fill out a form and send it in as I am from Ontario) and told CRA that I am leaving. I called CRA back to make sure it was on their system that I am a non resident from Jan 2010 and they said it did. the only thing is that I had my drivers license and renewed it in December 2010 and not am not sure if that would be considered as ties back to Canada. Some say yes and some say no. I have talked to accounts back home and someone I know in the MTO and they both said it didn't matter but then again CRA can use any excuse to take aoney away from us.

I would give you the same advice W_Man gave you. Get yourself a good accountant/tax preparer who specializes in nonresident taxes (so no H&R block). Things like this, you want to make sure so that you don't get screwed over later.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nitro_From_Windsor Thanks for reply. Yeah, I will definitely consult with accountant in regards of non resident tax. So you didn't send in the NR73 form? Have you ever visited Canada ever since? If so, did you have any problems with the customs?

Humm, I don't remember if I filled out the NR73 form before. I wonder if I can still send it in, two and a half years later. I did send in some form though I believe that was to cancel my health card. I do go back home two to three times a year for a month but I have never had any issues with customs. I even frequently cross the border between Windsor and Detroit and still havent had any issues. I always tell at both sides that I currently live in the UAE and they are fine with it. They just ask the questions of whose car I am driving, where I am staying at the moment and when I plan on going back to UAE. Otherwise, no issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.