Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there forum,

i am a canadian permanent resident, want to study in uk.

i hav some basic questions:

1. how much money do i need to show up for applying visa? can i show these funds as the money in my parents account who live in india, with a letter of support from them, declaring that i can use these funds as & when required?

2. as my daughter needs to go to school, will her education be paid or free in uk?

3. will my wife be able to work full time while our stay?

4. can i apply for a work permit after completion of my studies? if yes, do i need to show a job on hand for that?

thnx in advance guys

goldy verma
canada

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
hi there forum,

i am a canadian permanent resident, want to study in uk.

i hav some basic questions:

1. how much money do i need to show up for applying visa? can i show these funds as the money in my parents account who live in india, with a letter of support from them, declaring that i can use these funds as & when required?
For university degree course, you need first year's tuition fees plus £1,000 a month in living costs and £650 per family member when studying in inner London, or £800 and £450 when studying elsewhere. You need a letter from your parents stating your relationship to them and their permission to use their funds.

2. as my daughter needs to go to school, will her education be paid or free in UK?
Yes, in state (maintained) school.

3. will my wife be able to work full time while our stay?
Yes, but her potential income can't be taken into account in calculating the availability of funds, as also your income through spare-time work (up to 20 hours/week in term time).

4. can i apply for a work permit after completion of my studies? if yes, do i need to show a job on hand for that?
On completing your course, you can look for a graduate-level job (minimum pay £20,300) with sponsorship from a potential employer and switch to Tier 2 General visa. The job doesn't have to be on shortage list and doesn't need to be advertised.
You will be applying for Tier 4 adult student visa in Canada but as an Indian national.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for a quick reply.

1. this means for funds, i can show my parents money with the letter.

2. for my daughter, the school education would be free in state or public schools.

am i right.

and also what about the medicals, will these be covered or not?

thanks again

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Yes, you will be covered under National Health Service at the moment, but there are plans to charge you around £200 per person per year.
We use the words public school to mean expensive, traditional private school, often boarding like Eton and Harrow. So either state or maintained school.
Read more about Tier4 visa in http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/studying/adult-students/

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread but just a quick question for Joppa...

Regarding the plans to charge immigrants for using the NHS, do you know if this would apply to those already in the country on a valid visa or just to new applicants?

Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
HC Bill 128 would give the Home Secretary the ability to impose a charge to cover NHS fees on those who apply for entry clearance, leave to enter, or leave to remain for a limited period. The desired aim has been stated to affect those who will be temporarily in the UK, such as students.

As to analysis, I've analysed these things incorrectly way too many times to be listened to without a cannister of salt nearby. It would appear to be imposed on those applying for a visa, rather than those on one. It also appears possible under this bill to to charge it to anybody applying for any visa that expires. In interviews with the press, however, they have said that in practice there would be distinctions drawn between those temporarily here by choice (specifically such as students) and those forced to seek entry, such as asylum seekers.

I wouldn't even be able to begin to guess if they would define someone getting a probationary settlement visa as temporary or permanent.

The NHS section of the bill is here: Immigration Bill (HC Bill 128)

For discussion of it, google uk immigration nhs £200, and pick the news source with your favourite slant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts