Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I'm a Canadian considering a move to Sydney with my wife who has a job offer there. I currently work in the finance industry in Toronto. I'm struggling with the idea of moving there. I’m also having a hard time getting a sense of how big the Finance Industry in Sydney actually is. I have completed the CFA and have an MBA from one of the top schools in Canada. I have previously worked in London and NYC, but I’ve heard from people that ‘Australian work experience’ is a big deal

How big of a deal is it really? And would anyone be able to shed some light on the differences in the scale/size/nature of the finance industry in Toronto vs. Sydney? I would appreciate any advice/comments.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey there, I'm a Canadian considering a move to Sydney with my wife who has a job offer there. I currently work in the finance industry in Toronto. I'm struggling with the idea of moving there. I’m also having a hard time getting a sense of how big the Finance Industry in Sydney actually is. I have completed the CFA and have an MBA from one of the top schools in Canada. I have previously worked in London and NYC, but I’ve heard from people that ‘Australian work experience’ is a big deal

How big of a deal is it really? And would anyone be able to shed some light on the differences in the scale/size/nature of the finance industry in Toronto vs. Sydney? I would appreciate any advice/comments.
It depends who you talk to.

You indicated that your wife has a job offer in Sydney. I assume that she has doesn't have local Australian experience.

But from what I have seen, many employers prefer local experience.

The more you can show that your experience & qualifications match with what the employer is looking for the better your chances. Show the employers that you are using the same systems, same methods, same terminology .... etc.

I would apply to some companies in Sydney directly via email & by calling them and discussing with them what you have to offer and see what kind of feedback you get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sydney is a Asia/PAC & global powerhouse not a colloquial back water. The financial sector here is prob the biggest contributor to OZ economy. Huge banks/financial services providers - CBA, NAB, ANZ, QBE & AMP, ALL have revenues of over $20billionAUD . Its obviously not on the scale of London but few places are. Admittedly i don't work in "finance", what sector do you work in? That's a very broad term..

I work in a top ten global law firm in Sydney and sure local experience is great, I didn't have it before i came from London. Yourself with London & NYC on your CV shouldn't be worrying about that, be confident and push the global financial experience you have.. and you'll be fine.

I think the "local experience" is really code for will fit in with the companies (& Australian) culture...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your responses. I work in Asset Management- I spent some time on a European Fixed Income desk managing money and some time in Institutional Equity Sales.

I did notice that the Australian finance industry is the largest contributor to GDP and that the superannuation industry has made Australia a large hub for asset management. However, the largest Asset Managers in Australia are nowhere close to as big as the largest one's in Canada - which is why I'm trying to get a feel for what it's like in Sydney and how I should try and position myself. I have reached out to recruiters and I'm trying to reach out to people at the Sydney CFA Society to try and build some sort of a network before I get there.

Do you guys have any further suggestions or ideas on how I should approach my search. I've noticed that Financial services companies in Sydney tend to use recruiters a lot more than they do in Toronto.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In general though, Canada has a larger and varied industrial base than Aussie, how many international companies come to your mind from each countries?

Canada: RIM/Blackberry, D-Wave Systems, DataWind, Celestica, Four Seasons Hotels, Lululemon Athletica, etc.

Australia: Billabong, Good beaches, lets go surfing .... Rio Tinto, etc

Science, tech., industry - Australia is like a Sunday barbie with your mates, Canada is like Friday night party at your buddy's home with some people and USA is like the super busy nightclub everyone wants to get into but you ain't getting in.

But do let us know how goes your move.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Except, I have been and worked in the U.S and not even a 200% increase in my salary would convince me to move there again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't put my finger on it, but I never got a good vibe from the people or the place.

It also isn't as safe as the UK, Canada or Australia. The income inequality is a lot more pronounced. I just could never see myself living there long term.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't put my finger on it, but I never got a good vibe from the people or the place.

It also isn't as safe as the UK, Canada or Australia. The income inequality is a lot more pronounced. I just could never see myself living there long term.
Funny you say that since many people in the world would be so eager to take up life in US&A anytime. My high school friend went to Canada for further studies and lived there for four years till he got a great offer from a company in San Fran. California and he is since then living it up there, says food, clothes, cars, houses are all cheaper than Toronto and not to mention the weather.

But if you ask me I think either Canada or Australia have better living standard overall, its just neither of them got the perfect or right balance of weather like we do in Nairobi - sorry nobody (not even any OZ cities) wins here except us coz its unbelievably mild (20 - 24C) and steady (no four seasons in a day) for nine months of the year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not about the weather for me. It's the people, the attitude, the guns, the culture. The recent riots in Virginia are an example of what I'm talking about.

I would hate for my children to grow up in a country where almost 50% of the people around you voted in and are okay with their president behaving/saying the things he does.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts