Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am a Canadian marrying a French citizen. We are getting married in Fontainebleau next month (september 2015).
Just a quick background, I have basically spent the last (almost) 6 years living in France, so I am well versed with Student visas, working holiday visas, sponsored work visas... I have almost done it all.
I am not too sure about the marriage visa though.
I, of course, know I have to go back to Canada after our civil ceremony (yes our dossier at the mairie is complete and ready for wedding day) to apply for a "spouse of french citizen" visa. That I am ok with. But does anyone know how long that takes? The consulat in Toronto does not take phone calls and they are not responding to my emails...
Once I have my visa in hand I will come back to France, but at what point can I legally start working? right away with my visa? or do I have to apply for my residents permit at the prefecture before I have a work permit, or even start looking for work? and if I do have to wait for my residents permit/work permit, how long does it take to process once I have submitted all my documents upon arrival in France with my visa?
(in terms of having to take French courses through OFII before I can work, I believe I won't have to do that as I am almost billingual, and have been working in French companies for a few years)
Thank you for your help, anyone!
Canadian in France

·
Registered
81 Posts
What kind of visa are you currently here on? Do you have a titre de sejour? I might be totally wrong, but my impression from reading around the internet is that you can change the type of titre de sejour when you go to renew it if your family situation changes.

If you enter the country with a visa that gives you the right to work, you can begin immediately. Spouses of French citizens have the right to work, so once you properly change your status (or have the paperwork showing you've started), you can begin working.

·
Administrator
51,911 Posts
Not anymore, you don't have to go back home to apply for a visa. If you're living here in France on a valid long-stay visa, you just apply for a "change in status" next time your carte de séjour is up for renewal. If you are over here on a 90 day Schengen visa, you can still just change your status according to this page from Service Public: Délivrance de la carte de séjour temporaire "vie privée et familiale" - Service-public.fr

Check the heading Si vous êtes époux de Français

You'll probably have to do the OFII stuff, including the Contrat d'Accueil, but your language evaluation will probably be just chatting with someone during your appointment. Main thing will be sitting through the "Life in France" classes, but those can be scheduled around whatever your work schedule is.

Congrats on the upcoming marriage - and keep in touch.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello everyone

Congrats canadianinfrance on your upcoming marriage and i hope everything works out.

I'm in a kind of similar boat. I got married in Toronto and once i got my marriage certificate i was able to get my Livret de Famille, done. I now have a visa appointment on the 15th of September for the Long stay visa application for a spouse. How long should it take for me to get the visa provided all the documents are in order?

Thank you

Jay

·
Administrator
51,911 Posts
A spouse visa should only take a week or two to get, once you have your appointment and livret de famille. Might even be a bit quicker than that. A spouse visa is the closest thing there is to an "automatic" visa.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.