Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am living in the UK under the spouse visa for I married to a Brit. I will be having a baby this fall. I know I can apply for a Canadian passport for my child even though they are going to born British (so they will have dual citizenship). However, if I go home to visit, can I also apply for a health card for my child?

As well, do I need to register my child's birth under the Canadian system?

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
The process to get a passport for your Little One would require you to register their birth with the High Commission here in London (they have pre-prepared registration/application packs ready to go at the passport office... the HC has also moved from up near Selfridge's, off Oxford Street to Canada House at Trafalgar Square... most east-bound busses from Westminster Tube stop at or near Canada House... you cannot miss it), so that answers the second of your questions.

As far as getting health insurance when you go back (Ontario, IIRC) I don't think that either the Little One or yourself can get one until you've passed the 90 Day Waiting Period. However, once the wait has elapsed, you and the Little One (by virtue of being a Canadian citizen) will qualify for cover... my suggestion to you is to print out the application form(s) and fill them in and pop them into an appropriately addressed envelope before you leave the UK and then, as soon as you get to Canada, put it into the mail... since the clock starts ticking on the day that you arrive, you might as well take a proactive step and get your paperwork in as soon as possible so that the second you are eligible, you will have OHIP coverage.

Congratulations on your soon-to-be new arrival!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I believe Yours and your child's OHIP coverage will expire ( I think after 180 days) if you're not living in Canada. I'm not even sure as visitors you will be afforded OHIP coverage. If it's over 180 days until you come back for another visit you will need to go through the application process again and wait 3 months until it takes effect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Regarding healthcare insurance, just like others said, you may have to wait for 3 months if you come back to Ontario to get provincial coverage. During the waiting period, you may consider to get a medical insurance from private insurance company instead. There are plans that will cover pregnancy complications due to medical emergencies up to the 31st week of the pregnancy period. These plans would not cover delivery and pre-natal care costs, but standard medical emergencies are covered as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
However, if I go home to visit, can I also apply for a health card for my child?
No. Healthcare coverage is only available to residents of Canada. If you are a citizen but not a resident, then you are not eligible for healthcare. To be a resident, you must be physically present in your province for 6 out of 12 months. Since you are living in the UK, neither you nor your child are not covered for healthcare in Canada. If you go to Canada for a visit and need to see a doctor, you will have to pay out of pocket if you do not have private international healthcare coverage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.