Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.

I am a Canadian, From Montreal Quebec returning home after a year of studying and working in Germany.

It was discussed with my employer A London based company, me working for their German instance, a full bodied business in Munich, that I could work part time remotely for them from home, In Montreal.

I am wondering what are the legal implications of working for either a UK or German business in Canada. They are not registered anywhere else than The Arab Emirates. UK and Germany.

The only thing so far I have found is the possibility of being a contractor for them.

Any people have advice on how to make that work ? Considering I have lived a year in Germany, keeping an address there or a bank account is not an issue, but my visa expires and I need to go back home, I would like to keep the job tho.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
You can work for the London/Munich based company and live in Canada. The only implication is that of income taxes. Assuming tax will be deducted at source overseas you will file your Canadian ITR and use the tax agreement to prevent double taxation.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
That's between you and German Immigration. If you want the work and live in Canada then you may need to renew your German visa. Only the German rules apply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In terms of visa, wouldnt that imply that I need to renew my german visa, as without a visa i cant work for a german company ?
Of course you can work for a German company without a German visa. It's called working remotely. You only need a visa if you're physically working in Germany.

I work as a freelance contractor for a German company. I have lived in several countries while working for this company, including Canada. You must have permission to work in the country in which the work is performed, not the country in which the company is based. If you're Canadian, then there is no problem. However, you must always declare your income in Canada, and that depends on your contract and if they are deducting taxes from you in Germany or not. You want to avoid double taxation. If the company pays you as a freelance contractor, then you file your income taxes in Canada as self-employed, it's very straightforward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.