Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first time posting! I did a search but didn't find all the relevant information.

I'm planning on emigrating from Germany, where I currently live, to Australia to live with my girlfriend. I'm a 26-year old electrical engineer, educated in Canada. I hold two passports, Canadian and German. My degree is of course accredited and a part of the Washington Accord.

I have about 10 months pre-graduation co-op experience, plus over 3 years post-grad experience with a consulting firm. I've now been working in Germany for about seven months and by the time I leave for Australia ~Feb 2014, I will have about 14 or 15 months in Germany (total ~5 years). I've worked mostly in power systems (HVAC and HVDC) and control & automation (PLCs, motors, etc).

My girlfriend is Australian born and educated, currently working for the federal government in Brisbane. She's looking for a big career change and has applied to medical schools in Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide.

1. Employment prospects - I don't think I'll have much of a problem finding work in most places, but especially not in Perth. I hear that although it's isolated from the rest of the country, it's quite a great city with lots of work. Any comments on this?

2. Visa Options - I have several options it appears, including the subclass 189, 190, 417 (working holiday), 489, and partner sponsorship (309/100). They are all quite expensive, but that's typically Australia, and seems to be no other option. What's the difference between the 190 and 489, besides the 4-year limit of the 489???

3. Visa Points - If I'm sponsored by a state, I have 75 points. If not, I have 70. If I want to go full on into the permanent, unresistricted 189, I would have 70 points. Any thoughts on how good of a shot this is? What is a good, competitive points count?

4. Application Process - For skilled migration My understanding is that I first need to apply to have my degree and experience assessed by Engineers Australia. That's $300 education + $250 experience costs. Once I've been assessed, then I can send in an Expression of Interest. If I get an opportunity to apply as a result, I then apply for the actual visa. Is this correct?

5. Options - The reason I'm considering the Working Holiday 417 visa is the hope that I could save almost $3000 by getting a job and working for several months before getting sponsored by an employer. However, with the 417, I only have 6 months to prove my worth and I can imagine, with this limitation it might be hard enough to secure employment in the first place. This seems to be quite risky, and I could just save myself grief by just going for the full permanent visa.

6. Lead Times - It's June 2013, and I plan to move in about 7 or 8 months. The EA assessment takes 5 weeks, plus the EOI several weeks (I imagine), plus the actual visa several weeks. What is a good lead time to give myself for the entire process?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You definitely have enough time to get permanent migration under 189. It's not very time consuming and the process is fairly fast about 60% faster than getting skilled migration in Canada!! Lol. Jokes apart. You are right,you would need EA assessment and Ielts score if claiming points for language skills. Then you submit your Eoi and get invited..you then apply for it and take a clearance from rcmp and clearance from countries where u lived more than 1 year..you also need to umdergo medical tests..it does cost $3000 but it has no restrictions. Also u must be aware that as a Canadian citizen you are free to travel to Australia for 6 months..tip: australia is very expensive unlike Canada...rent, food, gas (petrol) cost much higher and there is a lot of difference in culture as well..it's a country full of people that has umm unlikeable behaviour and they are very vocal about things that are not spoken in public in Canada..anyways, I don't think you will have any difficulty in securing a job in australia

·
Registered
351 Posts
1. Employment prospects - I don't think I'll have much of a problem finding work in most places, but especially not in Perth. I hear that although it's isolated from the rest of the country, it's quite a great city with lots of work. Any comments on this?

From reading some posts on this forum. There are some people having difficulty finding work in their respective field even in Perth. Some have even commented that there might be a lot of postings, but the job could have already been filled. You just have to know that there likely is going to be a lot of competition. But if you have the skills and experience that a company is looking for and do well in the interview, then you should be fine. I have also noticed that there seems to be more contractual engineering postings than permanent positions. Don't want to discourage you about this, but just be prepared. You may have to do further research outside of this forum to get an understanding of what the job market is in your particular field. Check out the online job websites mycareer.com.au , seek.com.au , and World's Largest Professional Network | LinkedIn (professional networking - job postings,etc).

2. Visa Options - I have several options it appears, including the subclass 189, 190, 417 (working holiday), 489, and partner sponsorship (309/100). They are all quite expensive, but that's typically Australia, and seems to be no other option. What's the difference between the 190 and 489, besides the 4-year limit of the 489???

Did you check out this web page from immi.gov.au ? : SkillSelect It looks like the visa 190 is a permanent (PR) visa while the visa 489 is valid for 4 yrs. However, the PR visa is actually only valid for 5 yrs. But this only has an affect on a person if they plan to leave Australia after the PR visa expires. The person will just need to apply for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) or apply for citizenship to have to worry about renewing visas in the future. Both the RRV and citizenship has residency requirements in order to be approved. I believe if you have enough points and meet the other requirements for a permanent visa, you should just go for that. You can work anywhere in Australia without any restrictions and will get some benefits from the government in being a permanent resident.

5. Options - The reason I'm considering the Working Holiday 417 visa is the hope that I could save almost $3000 by getting a job and working for several months before getting sponsored by an employer. However, with the 417, I only have 6 months to prove my worth and I can imagine, with this limitation it might be hard enough to secure employment in the first place. This seems to be quite risky, and I could just save myself grief by just going for the full permanent visa.

Since I believe the main purpose of your move to Australia is to be with your girlfriend, I think it's best for you to go for the permanent visa. I have read posts on this forum and others that most people coming on Working Holiday visas don't necessarily find jobs in their field of studies. There might be a percentage who do if they have the experience and skills a company is looking for. Since you are a Canadian passport holder, you can just apply for the Australian Electronic Travel Authority(ETA) : https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp You just apply online. It is valid up to a year and will allow you to stay in Australia up to 3 months. But you may enter as many times during that 1 yr period. You can just fly to New Zealand for a short visit if it's going to reach the 3 month date. You will not be able to work with this ETA. However, once you are in Australia, you can start applying for jobs and if called for an interview, the company might be willing to sponsor you for a visa. Australian companies prefer that you reside in the country to do interviews at a moment's notice,etc. But there have been situations that there are people that get job offers and visa sponsored without ever stepping foot in Australia. This is dependent if a company wants that person for their skills and experience.

6. Lead Times - It's June 2013, and I plan to move in about 7 or 8 months. The EA assessment takes 5 weeks, plus the EOI several weeks (I imagine), plus the actual visa several weeks. What is a good lead time to give myself for the entire process?

According to Engineers Australia website, the assessment outcome will remain valid indefinitely. But the DIAC mandates that the assessment notification to not be more than 5 years old at the date of migration application: FAQ Module

I would say you can send in your assessment application form now and confirm with Engineers Australia about the validity for the assessment as well for the experience. When I applied back in 2009, I only had to pay for $250 for the full assessment. However, DIAC has changed the immigration policy in regards to the Skill Select program. Before people could just apply directly to what visa they were interested and it was processed accordingly by DIAC.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You definitely have enough time to get permanent migration under 189. It's not very time consuming and the process is fairly fast about 60% faster than getting skilled migration in Canada!! Lol. Jokes apart. You are right,you would need EA assessment and Ielts score if claiming points for language skills. Then you submit your Eoi and get invited..you then apply for it and take a clearance from rcmp and clearance from countries where u lived more than 1 year..you also need to umdergo medical tests..it does cost $3000 but it has no restrictions. Also u must be aware that as a Canadian citizen you are free to travel to Australia for 6 months..tip: australia is very expensive unlike Canada...rent, food, gas (petrol) cost much higher and there is a lot of difference in culture as well..it's a country full of people that has umm unlikeable behaviour and they are very vocal about things that are not spoken in public in Canada..anyways, I don't think you will have any difficulty in securing a job in australia
Since he is a Canadian passport holder, he can apply for the Electronic Travel Authority for $20AUD. It is valid up to a year and a person can enter as many times to Australia. However, a person can only stay up to 3 months continuously and leave Australia to come back. But the person is not allowed to work. Of course if a company can visa sponsor the person, then he or she can work in Australia. https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
To the OP,

Have a visit to Australia, see the job prospect with your own eyes ... if you feel everything is OK, apply for SC 189. Even 65 points would give you a sure invitation within a month.

Or even better, if you decide to get married with your girlfriend... you can just apply for spouse visa, so much easier...!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You definitely have enough time to get permanent migration under 189. It's not very time consuming and the process is fairly fast about 60% faster than getting skilled migration in Canada!! Lol. Jokes apart.
Yes that's somewhat interesting; I've never had to go through immigration with Canada, but I've had to deal with them once for a relative's immigration record and it was a headache!

From reading some posts on this forum. There are some people having difficulty finding work in their respective field even in Perth. Some have even commented that there might be a lot of postings, but the job could have already been filled. You just have to know that there likely is going to be a lot of competition. But if you have the skills and experience that a company is looking for and do well in the interview, then you should be fine. I have also noticed that there seems to be more contractual engineering postings than permanent positions. Don't want to discourage you about this, but just be prepared. You may have to do further research outside of this forum to get an understanding of what the job market is in your particular field. Check out the online job websites mycareer, seek, and LinkedIn (professional networking - job postings,etc).
Thanks! I'm already on LinkedIn but haven't seen mycareer. I'm already on seek.

As far as contractual positions, that might be okay to start. I'm not terribly concerned with permanent/temporary upon first migration. Permanent is a nice-to-have.

Did you check out this web page from immi.gov.au ? It looks like the visa 190 is a permanent (PR) visa while the visa 489 is valid for 4 yrs. However, the PR visa is actually only valid for 5 yrs. But this only has an affect on a person if they plan to leave Australia after the PR visa expires. The person will just need to apply for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) or apply for citizenship to have to worry about renewing visas in the future. Both the RRV and citizenship has residency requirements in order to be approved. I believe if you have enough points and meet the other requirements for a permanent visa, you should just go for that. You can work anywhere in Australia without any restrictions and will get some benefits from the government in being a permanent resident.
Yes I've of course been on the immi.gov.au extensively but didn't see the 5 year limitation until you pointed it out! I would likely apply for a RRV and not citizenship, because I would have to give up my German citizenship if I apply for another citizenship. Germany only allows dual citizenship if you're born with two (as I was). They may change the law, but until then I do not want to lose my ability or my future children's ability to freely work in the EU!

Since I believe the main purpose of your move to Australia is to be with your girlfriend, I think it's best for you to go for the permanent visa. I have read posts on this forum and others that most people coming on Working Holiday visas don't necessarily find jobs in their field of studies. There might be a percentage who do if they have the experience and skills a company is looking for. Since you are a Canadian passport holder, you can just apply for the Australian Electronic Travel Authority(ETA). You just apply online. It is valid up to a year and will allow you to stay in Australia up to 3 months. But you may enter as many times during that 1 yr period. You can just fly to New Zealand for a short visit if it's going to reach the 3 month date. You will not be able to work with this ETA. However, once you are in Australia, you can start applying for jobs and if called for an interview, the company might be willing to sponsor you for a visa. Australian companies prefer that you reside in the country to do interviews at a moment's notice,etc. But there have been situations that there are people that get job offers and visa sponsored without ever stepping foot in Australia. This is dependent if a company wants that person for their skills and experience.
I've considered this option, but it worries me slightly. I suppose the option could be to travel to australia with the ETA, and apply for jobs and last ditch, apply for the permanent residency. Is that possible, to apply while in the country for skilled migration?

One question though. I just returned from australia for a three week vacation. I received my visitors visa on Feb 9, and was in Australia for 3 weeks from Apr 28 to May 20. I expect to move around February next year, so this might cause a problem. If I choose to go with the visitor visa route, then hope for sponsorship, can I apply for a new visitor visa before the last one has expired?

According to Engineers Australia website, the assessment outcome will remain valid indefinitely. But the DIAC mandates that the assessment notification to not be more than 5 years old at the date of migration application.

I would say you can send in your assessment application form now and confirm with Engineers Australia about the validity for the assessment as well for the experience. When I applied back in 2009, I only had to pay for $250 for the full assessment. However, DIAC has changed the immigration policy in regards to the Skill Select program. Before people could just apply directly to what visa they were interested and it was processed accordingly by DIAC.
Okay sounds good! Jesus this is expensive. Directly with Immigration, it's $3060 visa + $550 skills assessment + $300 RRV! Not including all the incidentals to put this thing together or anything else!

Since he is a Canadian passport holder, he can apply for the Electronic Travel Authority for $20AUD. It is valid up to a year and a person can enter as many times to Australia. However, a person can only stay up to 3 months continuously and leave Australia to come back. But the person is not allowed to work. Of course if a company can visa sponsor the person, then he or she can work in Australia.

I'm actually also a German passport holder, and the ETA is free for EU citizens. Read above... I'm not sure if I can re-apply for the ETA before it expires?

To the OP,

Have a visit to Australia, see the job prospect with your own eyes ... if you feel everything is OK, apply for SC 189. Even 65 points would give you a sure invitation within a month.

Or even better, if you decide to get married with your girlfriend... you can just apply for spouse visa, so much easier...!
I just returned from Australia! It was wonderful! But, as my previous experience with moving to Germany, it's very difficult to scope out a job market on merely a few weeks, let alone while trying to spend time with the girlfriend and see the country! I'm not sure how other people achieved this, unless they went for the sole purpose of job hunting.

Honestly, we're on the road to marriage. It's assumed, but obviously we have more on our minds for the next few years. I wouldn't move there unless I had full intentions to build a whole life with her.

That said, and I know she would agree, the spousal visa is simpler but we may have difficulty proving a de factor partnership. Long story, but we've considerably more time living apart than living together (and why I'm moving to change that for us!). More importantly, I need to do this on my own a bit. If we're wrong and this ends up being not what is best for both of us, I need to be able to stay in Australia on my own terms. It's important that I enter on my own terms, under my own abilities and finances. The spousal one is only a few hundred dollars cheaper anyway, and I have to go through the assessment with Engineers Australia regardless for my career.

I feel confident about finding a job anyway. The market back home in Canada for engineers is not great, nevertheless I'm very comfortable with my employability. I'll have to work hard, but I've been fortunate that my career choices have made me very flexible.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've considered this option, but it worries me slightly. I suppose the option could be to travel to australia with the ETA, and apply for jobs and last ditch, apply for the permanent residency. Is that possible, to apply while in the country for skilled migration?

I would recommend checking out the visa information in immi.gov.au

Okay sounds good! Jesus this is expensive. Directly with Immigration, it's $3060 visa + $550 skills assessment + $300 RRV! Not including all the incidentals to put this thing together or anything else!

Just read a post in this forum that the cost of the visa may increase this upcoming July. The costs seem to change during July. You don't have to worry about the RRV until just before your visa expires before the 5th year of when your PR visa will expire. So it might be even more expensive when the time comes for you to apply.

I'm actually also a German passport holder, and the ETA is free for EU citizens. Read above... I'm not sure if I can re-apply for the ETA before it expires?

If you apply online, you will know if you get rejected especially if there is no fee for EU citizens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts