Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody give me a link or any information, regarding if a child is born outside of Canada, would the child still be eligible for Canadian citizenship? The father is Canadian and the mother American , they are married, and overseas (not military affiliated).

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
Yes, the child(ren) will qualify for Canadian citizenship (provided you fill out the necessary paperw*rk and pay the fee).

However, their children will not qualify for Canadian citizenship if they too are born outside of Canada. If your child(ren) go to Canada and have a child(ren) whilst in Canada, that grandchild(ren) will automatically be a Canadian, by virtue of having been born here.

Kind of sucky for your future non-Canada born grandchildren, but Ottawa changed the law a few years ago to prevent generations of families from assuming Canadian citizenship without ever establishing any direct links to the country.

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
Oh, by the way, here's the last word from the Canadian government about

Birth Abroad.

I am also remiss in not congratulating you on your new little bundle and my home country's newest citizen-to-be!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! You've actually sent the link I've been reading all day lol. It seemed like what was going to be an easy thing is actually complicated, when you think of implicating someone else's life decades from now!

·
Registered
244 Posts
The child will be both Canadian and American if you file the correct paperwork. And if they're born in a 3rd country, maybe a triple citizen?

Children of Canadian ex-pats no longer need to choose when they turn 18 either. Ditto American ex-pats' kids.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's such an easy process. My wife (Canadian) and I (English) completed our sons papers in August 2011 (he was born in the UK) and he has his citizenship card but the end of September.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Hopefully all will go smoothly. I noticed it's not only less paperwork, but also less expensive to file for the Canadian papers.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks! Hopefully all will go smoothly. I noticed it's not only less paperwork, but also less expensive to file for the Canadian papers.
America needs the money more than the Canadian government :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.