Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I am currently living in Canada with my Australian born girlfriend and have recently applied for an Australian partner visa. Am I allowed to enter Australia while my partner visa is being processed?
I ask this because I have a flight booked back to Australia in January, but I have just recently sent in my application.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Mark,

You need to check that with the DIAC processing authority (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) but I doubt it. You may have to apply for a tourist visa to get in for January since people aren't usually let in unless they have an approved visa (since in theory they could reject your partner visa for some reason).

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Yes, the last thing you want is getting to Australian immigration and be turned away because you don't have a valid visa.

As Karen said, contact DIAC to find out.

Dolly

PS Welcome to the forum! and good luck with your new life over here

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

So I called the DIAC in Australia and they said I have to be in the country from where I sent my application in order to receive my visa, so that leaves me in between a rock and a hard place. I called the Aussie immigration office in Ottawa, Canada and was told it takes approximately 3 month to process the application, I assumed that the application process would be all said and done within 2 months, which was a big mistake.

So now I'm thinking of cancelling my application that I sent to Ottawa and just apply for a work and holiday visa, and once I get to Australia I would apply for the partner visa again. Little catch though...
I was told by the DIAC that if I apply for a work and holiday visa and get visa label 8503 'no further stay' attached to my visa then I would not be able to apply for the partner visa. I have already been to Australia on a student visa. So this now leaves me with 2 questions:

Would anyone have any idea as to what the chances are of getting the 8503 label attached to a work and travel visa?

and

Is there such thing as speeding up the application process for the partner visa that I applied for first?

I hope this all makes sense, and I appreciate all feedback.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Rens77, I applied for my spouse visa while on an evisitor holiday/tourist visa. You can apply for spouse visa as it does not have no further stay printed in your passport. It allows multiple entries within one year. However it doesn't allow you to work......they suggest a time period of 6 months to process the application once in Australia, we are currently on month 4......

So I called the DIAC in Australia and they said I have to be in the country from where I sent my application in order to receive my visa, so that leaves me in between a rock and a hard place. I called the Aussie immigration office in Ottawa, Canada and was told it takes approximately 3 month to process the application, I assumed that the application process would be all said and done within 2 months, which was a big mistake.

So now I'm thinking of cancelling my application that I sent to Ottawa and just apply for a work and holiday visa, and once I get to Australia I would apply for the partner visa again. Little catch though...
I was told by the DIAC that if I apply for a work and holiday visa and get visa label 8503 'no further stay' attached to my visa then I would not be able to apply for the partner visa. I have already been to Australia on a student visa. So this now leaves me with 2 questions:

Would anyone have any idea as to what the chances are of getting the 8503 label attached to a work and travel visa?

and

Is there such thing as speeding up the application process for the partner visa that I applied for first?

I hope this all makes sense, and I appreciate all feedback.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
from what i read, you have to be offshore if u apply offshore. so if u do have a valid tourist visa, you go now to AU, as and when you get the visa (you need to inform the department that you are in AU and they inform you when they are about to grant the visa) you go back to canada, get the visa stamp and come back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts