Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Canadian living in Denmark legally with my boyfriend, who is German. We are relocating to England. Though we wish to stay together, we do not feel right about marrying for the sake of visas. (its a long story, just work with me here..)

If I am looking for work in the UK, clearly I need to find an employer that will be able to obtain me a visa, once meeting all the requirements.
My question is, is it easier to get a work visa if I am already a resident of the UK or would that make a difference. If it helps me to get a job, then perhaps going the marriage route is better afterall, as I would then already be living legally in the country.

My other question has to do with getting married in the UK, should I not be able to find employment that providies a visa, so that we will not be seperated. For this, I quote the ever knowledgable Joppa:

Under UK marriage law, she can marry in UK on tourist stay but it isn't allowed under immigration law. She should either get a marriage visitor visa, get married in UK and then return to US to apply for her spouse visa, or get a fiancée visa, marry in UK and apply for further leave to remain as wife in-country. If she gets married on tourist visa (leave), she has broken a condition of her stay and it may become an issue when applying for her settlement visa, as it will be a blot on her immigration record.
Since my boyfriend is German, and I would be in the UK on a tourist visa, do these same rules apply to us or would it be something different, given that he is an EU resident?

(apologies for sounding a bit all over there..)

Thank you!!!

·
Super Moderator
18,086 Posts
My question is, is it easier to get a work visa if I am already a resident of the UK or would that make a difference. If it helps me to get a job, then perhaps going the marriage route is better afterall, as I would then already be living legally in the country.
If you are married to an EU citizen who is living and working in the UK, then you can apply for an EEA Family permit which allows you to live and work in the UK as well. Obviously just getting married isn't going to help you get a job (the economy stink right now) but you won't need to find an employer to sponsor you for a work visa if you are marred to an EU citizen and you have an EEA Family permit.

·
Registered
39,124 Posts
Joppa said:
Alternative is if you have been cohabiting for two
two years, not necessarily continuously but in total with short breaks in between. You need evidence for it and if approved you can apply for EEA family permit as above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.