Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been here in the UK now for just over two months, and have been wondering if you are allowed to start your own business while on a Spouse Visa. Are there any rules or restrictions on that? Would be something small, food or craft based (selling in markets, online and such..)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Have been here in the UK now for just over two months, and have been wondering if you are allowed to start your own business while on a Spouse Visa. Are there any rules or restrictions on that?

Thanks!
I looked into this soon after arriving with my newly minted spouse visa in 2011 - it is possible to start a business as there are no rules or restrictions owing strictly to being on a settlement visa unless you are applying for start-up grants which of course do have some restrictions - not clear on the details so you might want to check those out.

However, you will need to follow HMRC rules+about a gajillion other business owner rules and having employees will add to the rules you need to follow. Do a web search using the term 'American expat starting a business in (insert name of UK country you live in) to find out the ins-outs.

I live in Scotland and there is an amazing lot of information on and offline - I found classes that will be of enormous help negotiating the tax maze, for example. As Americans we are subject to the standard need to file an annual return, and now FATCA (Google it, what a pain this is going to be tax wise!). Being a business owner is going to add to that headache.

In my case I decided to wait to see if I got my ILR before starting my all-time dream business, and in the meantime I trained for a completely different occupation. Interestingly the employer got cold feet about my immigration status, didn't want to hire me until I got that ILR.

LOLOLOL, now that I have the ILR and have had time to think about the work I trained for (I paid for that training, btw), I've chosen to go on and start my dream business - small brick and mortar sewing fabrics/haberdashery and on-premises sewing classes. Doors open in about a year:D Yes, I'm over the moon!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
As stated, there is no restriction on starting a business or self-employment, except that you cannot access public funds (not that many are available to the self-employed) and all tax and regulatory rules (health & safety, food hygiene etc) must be complied with, just like anyone else. Plus you need to get commercial business insurance in these days of litigation and high damages.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.