Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of migrating to Australia under the skilled points system. I will need to use my occupation as a mechanic but want to change career when I get there. Is this allowed or do you have to work in the occupation that you got your visa for?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I am thinking of migrating to Australia under the skilled points system. I will need to use my occupation as a mechanic but want to change career when I get there. Is this allowed or do you have to work in the occupation that you got your visa for?
Yes, you can change ur profession there..I am not aware of any rule that stops your from doing so..

Good luck..

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
you can very well do what you want once you have a valid visa.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So does this mean that if my ACS application said that I was a software engineer and my visa is processed successfully and then I can look for work as a IT project manager when I am looking for work in Australia? Do the employers not look at the ACS result at all?

What kind of checks do they have to prevent fraud, I mean sticking to IT is one thing, but if I look for a job completely different than the one that I had talked about in my visa application, how does that work?

Cheers,
Maverick

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
u can work as an accountant if u are able to convince the employer that u r worth his piece o penny.. :p. u need acs for immigration purpose only.. the employers have nothing to do with it

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
There is nothing to say what you have to do once you get your PR visa. It's an assumption that you will do what you're used to and trained in.

Both myself and my husband tried something new when we got here (we're on PR visa) but have actually going back to what we were doing before with some changes. So my husband has started up a gardening business (he's good at it and he loves it) and I'm still doing some IT although it's websites and not programming for big companies any more (unless they make it worth my while:)).

As Riversandlakes says the world is your oyster once you get here on PR.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just to add here, after you have your PR you are free do anything (Inside LEGAL domain..)

There is no rule that binds you to one employer or one job.. you can change them as you wish..

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts