Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like my husband will be going to Vancouver (from Australia) to work on a project for 12 months or so. The company will also be organising/paying for me and our son to go too. I have no idea what visa class we will be on etc, it is all happening very fast. My husband will be there in a fortnight, we will follow on a couple of weeks later.

I have a million questions but first up I am trying to sort out school. My son is 5, and just started school here in Australia. As there will still be 2.5 months of the school year left in BC when we arrive, I would like to have him going to school. What I want to know (and which I can't seem to find on any website, but am probably looking in the wrong place) is:

a. Can we enrol him in public school?
b. If so, do we need to pay for this?
c. Are Canadian schools strictly zoned? We have been told the company will find us a house in Kitsilano, does this mean we can use any school in that area, or only certain schools, depending on what our eventual address is?

Any other advice on the subject gratefully received!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Skye1 & welcome to the forums! :)

I can't give you the information you're looking for regarding schooling for your son, but it may be the best bet to go to the source to ask your questions. Kitsilano is in School District #39 and you can contact them through the Vancouver School Board website ...

Vancouver School Board

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I am in a very similar position
We are moving from Australia on Sunday
we are looking to rent in the west Vancouver dundarave or Ambleside suburbs
I have enrolled my 5 turning 6 year old in school there she needed a study visa in order for this to happen so t may depend on the visas your husband is being issued through the company
Each area has its own schools district board which lists schools and maps of their locations etc
Im not sure how much more detail Im allowed to post here so feel free to PM me and I can try to answer any further questions!
Cheers
Candi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for those replies! The School Board website is very handy to know about.

CandiN - I'm really not sure how it's going to work, my husband is in the film industry so the visa situation is unusual (ie. he is exempt from requiring a work permit), I'm not sure yet what it will mean for me and our son, re: study visa and all that. I am actually a Canadian citizen, as is my son, but currently without papers (dual citizens, been in Australia forever), so I know I will be able to get that sorted out in time and have him enrolled in time for the new school year in September, but it would be great to get him in straight away regardless.

I guess I will just have to hold on until we have a little more detail - I'm impatient!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.