Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I just got grants for my family and is planning for the next 5 years of our life :). I have tried but could not find a definitive answer to the below. Hope you could help.

Assume that I have to travel a lot and do not meet the residence test for citizenship but my spouse stays mainly in Australia and meets all conditions, can she sepereately apply for citizenship even if I am the main applicant for the 189 visa?

Also there seems to be a lot of confusion on how the 4-year residence is calculated. Does anyone has a clear idea on this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Every dependent member in your 189 visa has the same right with you. That means the Australian government will treat each of you like single individual, so if your wife fulfills the condition of citizenship applications, then she will go for it independently.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi all

I just got grants for my family and is planning for the next 5 years of our life :). I have tried but could not find a definitive answer to the below. Hope you could help.

Assume that I have to travel a lot and do not meet the residence test for citizenship but my spouse stays mainly in Australia and meets all conditions, can she sepereately apply for citizenship even if I am the main applicant for the 189 visa?

Also there seems to be a lot of confusion on how the 4-year residence is calculated. Does anyone has a clear idea on this?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Yes, she can independently apply for Australian Citizenship when eligible. The 4-year residence will be calculated from the date you enter Australia.

Reactions: Dumbledore
1 - 3 of 3 Posts