Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends

I was in process of applying for a Australian PR (189) and was preparing for my IELTS Exam, preparing documentation for submitting my ACS however mid-way i received an Job offer from Australia on 457 Family Visa.

After researching and talking to friends, everyone suggested me to go for 189 and don't look at 457 job offer however I mind is deviating a bit because:-

A. Job offer is from a prestigious company with presence all over the Globe so I don't think they would exploit any of the 457 obligations.
B. Job position is good.
C. Base pay is also sounding okay (100K in South Melbourne)
D. After getting 189, I would have to leave my existing job in India and move to Australia without a Job (which is fearing).
E. if I go for 189, I have to arrange for the Visa Fees (which i don't have in hand now) so I was thinking to move on 457 first, start earning there, gain some local experience (which is required to get a good job in Australia) and also keep my 189 work (IELTS >> ACS >> EOI>> Official Visa submission) going as it is in parallel, it would help me a lot as by the time I submit my Visa fees (in 2-3 months), I would already be earning in Aus. Dollars and can pay the Visa fees easily.

I need to know if someone on this forum have done this in the past and are there any regulations or any obligation I need to be aware of before taking this step.

In nutshell, once you have 457 Visa stamped can you still apply for 189 in parallel or a waiting period of 2 years is mandatory before you can go that way?

I heard the 2 years wait period is not mandatory for every occupation. I am from IT background (Networking to be specific). Does anyone have a list of occupations on which a 2 year wait period after 457 stamping is mandatory?

- Basant

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can not hold both visas in parallel, but you can still apply for both. Your 457 will be cancelled on the day your 189 is granted.

So yes, you can accept that job offer, move to Melbourne and immediately start the 189 process. There is no waiting period for 189. If you get enough points to apply, you can do so whenever, where ever you want.
The waiting period only applies when switching from 457 to PR via sponsorship and without a skilled visa.

100K is a pretty good salary even for Australia. You will be able to save up for the visa fees in no time and a company paying that much is unlikely to kick you out soon.
Also, living in Australia and speaking English every day at work will be the best practice for IELTS you can get.

So, if you are ok with moving to Australia now, I would definitely do so. Having a job on arrival makes everything a lot easier and you can prepare your visa application whenever you feel like.

The only down side is that if you loose your job (and can't find a new one) before you lodge your application, you will need to leave again.
Once you lodge your application, you will get a bridging visa, so from that day on, loosing your job won't even matter (visa-wise).

Reactions: abhaytomar

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Friends

I was in process of applying for a Australian PR (189) and was preparing for my IELTS Exam, preparing documentation for submitting my ACS however mid-way i received an Job offer from Australia on 457 Family Visa.

After researching and talking to friends, everyone suggested me to go for 189 and don't look at 457 job offer however I mind is deviating a bit because:-

A. Job offer is from a prestigious company with presence all over the Globe so I don't think they would exploit any of the 457 obligations.
B. Job position is good.
C. Base pay is also sounding okay (100K in South Melbourne)
D. After getting 189, I would have to leave my existing job in India and move to Australia without a Job (which is fearing).
E. if I go for 189, I have to arrange for the Visa Fees (which i don't have in hand now) so I was thinking to move on 457 first, start earning there, gain some local experience (which is required to get a good job in Australia) and also keep my 189 work (IELTS >> ACS >> EOI>> Official Visa submission) going as it is in parallel, it would help me a lot as by the time I submit my Visa fees (in 2-3 months), I would already be earning in Aus. Dollars and can pay the Visa fees easily.

I need to know if someone on this forum have done this in the past and are there any regulations or any obligation I need to be aware of before taking this step.

In nutshell, once you have 457 Visa stamped can you still apply for 189 in parallel or a waiting period of 2 years is mandatory before you can go that way?

I heard the 2 years wait period is not mandatory for every occupation. I am from IT background (Networking to be specific). Does anyone have a list of occupations on which a 2 year wait period after 457 stamping is mandatory?

- Basant
Hi there,

I was also on 457 in Australia for almost 20 months and returned to India few months ago, I applied 189 and waiting for grant now.
My friend is in Australia on 457 and had also applied for 189. If you are there in Australia while you apply for PR like 189 or 190 VISA then you will get preference in getting VISA processed.
I don't know any waiting period of 2 years in case of 457 candidate applying for 189/ 190 VISA, if you know something about it then please share with me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts