Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can one apply for a UK fiancee visa whilst still part way through a divorce?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MCS 
#1 ·
This might sound a daft question, but can a US lady start the process of applying for a UK fiancee visa before both of us have our divorces for our current marriages finalised? I would have thought we'd have to be free to marry but she thinks we'd only need to be able to marry within the 6 months of entering the UK. That sounds as if it should be against the rules at the very least (though I can't see where it says that in black and white) or if not then at least very risky.

She bases what she thinks on the form having boxes for marital status that allow one to enter married and her assumption that the box wouldn't be there if you weren't allowed to apply to be considered the fiancee of one person whilst he was still married.

#2 ·
The rule is you can apply if your divorce proceedings are in the final stages, i.e. just waiting for final paperwork to be sorted. The crucial thing is you are free to marry within the validity of your fiancee visa. It does mean 6 moths but you still need time remaining to apply for FLR as spouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.