Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My friend have Australia pr and also indian dl valid till 2028, he wants to apply for Australian driving license but the problem is he was booked for drunk and driving in India in 2011 for which he had court case and all and the matter was sorted out, he went through the rules and found out that he needs to submit his Indian dl for verification so he is worried that if in verification of his Indian dl will the Australian authorities know about his court case as he has not disclosed it anywhere, or he can simply apply for learners license in Australia stating that he does not have prior driving experience and after one year of driving in Australia apply for permanent license, please suggest

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
Hi
My friend have Australia pr and also indian dl valid till 2028, he wants to apply for Australian driving license but the problem is he was booked for drunk and driving in India in 2011 for which he had court case and all and the matter was sorted out, he went through the rules and found out that he needs to submit his Indian dl for verification so he is worried that if in verification of his Indian dl will the Australian authorities know about his court case as he has not disclosed it anywhere, or he can simply apply for learners license in Australia stating that he does not have prior driving experience and after one year of driving in Australia apply for permanent license, please suggest
Not disclosing that he has has a license would be an offence.

Part 3.4

Offences concerning driver licensing

Division 1

Unlawfully obtaining or using licences
Obtaining driver licence by false statements
(cf DL Act, s 22)
(1)
A person must not:
(a)
by a false statement or any misrepresentation or other dishonest means, obtain or attempt to obtain a driver licence or the renewal of a driver licence, or
(b)
without lawful authority or excuse, possess a driver licence obtained or renewed using those means.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

(2)
A driver licence so obtained or renewed is void, and the Authority may alter the NSW driver licence register accordingly

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi
I don't think there is any verification. I got my Australian Drivers Licence last year. The process is pretty easy right now.
1. Submit copy of Indian DL, 2 Australian Address Proofs
2. Sit Written Test (You've to pay only if you pass).
3. Once you pass the written test, you can book a practical test.
4. Pay for the practical test and book a date.
5. Clear the test and pay for DL.
6. Get the DL within 14 days.

Learners is long process (Atleast 2 years). Learners -> Provisional1 -> Provisional2 -> Open

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi
Oh, I forgot to mention that I've been booked for Driving under influence of Alcohol in India (5 years back) but that didn't stop Queensland Transport Authority to issue a Driver's Licence to me.
They need your Indian DL, as in a way "You are converting your Indian DL to Australian DL".
If you fail any of the tests (Written or Practical) you won't be able to drive in Australia on your Indian DL.
If you pass both the tests, you won't be able to drive on your Indian DL anymore (obviously).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention that I've been booked for Driving under influence of Alcohol in India (5 years back) but that didn't stop Queensland Transport Authority to issue a Driver's Licence to me.
They need your Indian DL, as in a way "You are converting your Indian DL to Australian DL".
If you fail any of the tests (Written or Practical) you won't be able to drive in Australia on your Indian DL.
If you pass both the tests, you won't be able to drive on your Indian DL anymore (obviously).
But did you tell the Queensland authority that you were booked for driving under influence in India or did you mentioned that while applying the visa, my friend is worried about his visa, they should not cancel it after they come to know about his DUI status

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
But did you tell the Queensland authority that you were booked for driving under influence in India or did you mentioned that while applying the visa, my friend is worried about his visa, they should not cancel it after they come to know about his DUI status

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
No.
Didn't mention it anywhere(DL or Visa) coz they didn't ask for it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I don't think there is any verification. I got my Australian Drivers Licence last year. The process is pretty easy right now.
1. Submit copy of Indian DL, 2 Australian Address Proofs
2. Sit Written Test (You've to pay only if you pass).
3. Once you pass the written test, you can book a practical test.
4. Pay for the practical test and book a date.
5. Clear the test and pay for DL.
6. Get the DL within 14 days.

Learners is long process (Atleast 2 years). Learners -> Provisional1 -> Provisional2 -> Open
Please ignore the above and get the real laws from the real site. There is only one exam on that page you can take before paying but for others you need to pay.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/getting/tests

the licence fee—if you are applying to get a learner licence.

You can take the test once a day, but you must pay the fee for each attempt. If you pass the test, your results are valid for 5 years.

After the practical driving test

Before you leave, make sure you know exactly what you did wrong and how you can improve.
Come back after more practice and try again.
There is no limit to the number of times you may take the test, but you must pay a fee every time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do we need the India DL to have the name exactly as in passport? I have initials expanded in passport but not in the DL. Anyone facing challenges with that?

And what is the value add of a International DL obtained from India?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts