Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to travel to the US with my family in the next couple of months. My newborn child recently received their British passport. Because I haven't been able to make an appointment at the US embassy to apply for a CRBA and passport, they don't yet have their US passport. Can they travel to the US using their UK passport?

The US embassy website suggest that this isn't possible because they have a claim to citizenship:

U.S. citizens must enter and leave the United States on valid U.S. passports, even if they hold a passport from another country. If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, or if it has expired, you must apply to replace it before traveling to the United States.
However, I found a post on the Expatriates StackExchange site that makes it seem like it could be fine because their status hasn't yet been determined.

The tricky bit is that I have a another child (not even two years older) that did get their CRBA and US passport not too long ago so there really isn't any doubt the newborn is also a US citizen.

I'm sure a lot depends on the particular border agent that I'll meet but I imagine it will be hard travelling overseas with two very young children. I'm not too keen on having major delays or other issues at the border or when eventually applying for the CRBA.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts