Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father died in 1943 three months after I was born. His father was English his mother was French and he was born and raised in Noux les mines in Northern France. His English father sent him to England to join the British army and he of course lost his life in 1943; a son of France who died fighting for peace. The question I am now 78 and I wish to obtain by right of blood my French citizenship can I or does the fact I have never lived apart from short holidays in France. I do not speak French apart from schoolboy french. Has my right to claim citizenship now been lost by time?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
My father died in 1943 three months after I was born. His father was English his mother was French and he was born and raised in Noux les mines in Northern France. His English father sent him to England to join the British army and he of course lost his life in 1943; a son of France who died fighting for peace. The question I am now 78 and I wish to obtain by right of blood my French citizenship can I or does the fact I have never lived apart from short holidays in France. I do not speak French apart from schoolboy french. Has my right to claim citizenship now been lost by time?
You may be ineligble if you apply fom a country other than France.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In fact I am almost sure that you're eligible, I had a similar situation with my grandmother as well, she's 75 and she was able to claim back her French nationality even though the only document she had for herself was her French birth certificate, her father also served in French army during the WW2 and was captured by the Germans. Even though he didn't die during the war, he became handicapped and died after.
I think that because your father was serving in one of the allies of the WW2 and died during this period you are eligible to claim back your french nationality. do you have french birth certificate? If yes this is the first step in the process, you should go with your french birth certificate if you have one, to the french consulate in your country and to check if they can issue identity document's for you. If not then you need to apply for Certificat de nationalité française and then you will be able to issue your documents

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
In fact I am almost sure that you're eligible, I had a similar situation with my grandmother as well, she's 75 and she was able to claim back her French nationality even though the only document she had for herself was her French birth certificate, her father also served in French army during the WW2 and was captured by the Germans. Even though he didn't die during the war, he became handicapped and died after.
I think that because your father was serving in one of the allies of the WW2 and died during this period you are eligible to claim back your french nationality. do you have french birth certificate? If yes this is the first step in the process, you should go with your french birth certificate if you have one, to the french consulate in your country and to check if they can issue identity document's for you. If not then you need to apply for Certificat de nationalité française and then you will be able to issue your documents
You may well be wrong - there are lots of threads on the France Expat Forum that mention the CNF, though I think it would be doable from within France.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You may well be wrong - there are lots of threads on the France Expat Forum that mention the CNF, though I think it would be doable from within France.
Then I'll be happy to know why I am wrong. I just mentioned that my grandmother has received her CNF recently (par filiation) even though she never had possession d'état since her birth in 1946. So I don't see any reason why he can't claim his nationality as well ?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My father died in 1943 three months after I was born.
Your father died in France, I assume? and you were born in the UK? Your mother was a British national, I also assume?
His father was English his mother was French and he was born and raised in Noux les mines in Northern France.
So your father's mother (your grandmother) was French and your father was also French. Was your birth registered in France or with the French consulate in the UK?
His English father sent him to England to join the British army and he of course lost his life in 1943; a son of France who died fighting for peace.
The question I am now 78 and I wish to obtain by right of blood my French citizenship can I or does the fact I have never lived apart from short holidays in France. I do not speak French apart from schoolboy french. Has my right to claim citizenship now been lost by time?
The document that would prove your French nationality (Certificate de Nationalité Française or CNF) is much much easier to obtain if you reside in France.
There have been several recent posts on the same subject, stating that applicants face a 3 year waiting period when applying via consular services outside France
with little possibility of feedback as regards the evolution of their demand.

From recent experience, a simple CNF can be delivered in as rapidly as two or three weeks in France.
In your case, you'll need to provide your birth certificate, translated into French,
as well as the birth certifs of your parents and maybe even of your French grandparents on your mother's side.
Your father's military records and death certificate could also help if you have access to them.
Did you have elder brothers or sisters with French nationality?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It may depend, at least in part, whether your mother ever gave up her French nationality for some reason, whether your mother retained formal links with the French administration prior to her death (I assume she is no longer alive, but even if she is, whether she has retained retained such links), though perhaps if your father answered the Appel du Général de Gaulle that may possibly assist, especial if as a consequence he was in receipt of a French pension).

Still, I would suggest you do a search on this Frum (French Expat Forum) for threads containing the term CNF. Weel, I have done it for you Search results for query: CNF | Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts