Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently on a titre de séjour - vie privée et familile (married to a french) renewable every year.

My partner just got offered a job abroad and will be leaving in June. I would like to stay here for another 18 months to finish my job, but I am due to renew my visa in November where we have to proove common life.

Can we justify our separation due to my partners work commitments and will I be allowed to stay by myself? Or alternatively, is it possible to just renew one more time together? or will this pose problems later for 10 year cards and potential naturalisation processes?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just a small detail, you are not actually renewing your visa but your carte de séjour. I wasn't aware you had to prove common life to renew the CdS if you're married (I though it was only for PACsed couples but I could be wrong). How long have you been married? I think it's after you've been married for three years that you can receive a 10yr carte de résident.

·
Administrator
51,559 Posts
On a spouse visa/carte de séjour you do have to show that you're still married. But as long as your spouse's name is still on the family residence and all the other documents, I suspect you can renew your carte de séjour with little or no difficulty. You may want to check with the prefecture to see precisely what documents they will require for the renewal.

This may make your tax filings for 2012 a bit more complicated - as you will still have to file together as a household. But it shouldn't be a huge problem.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
85 Posts
I believe that your spouse needs to appear with you to renew if you have been married less than 3 years:

ETRANGER(E) MARIE(E) A UN(E) RESSORTISSANT(E) DE NATIONALITE FRANCAISE depuis moins de 3 ans : Présence du conjoint

Another point regarding the renewal: Starting this year, at least in Paris, you need to schedule your appointment 4-5 months in advance in order to have it 2 months before your CDS expires. That's a change from previous years. In the past, you just needed to schedule the appointment 2-3 months ahead. Check the prefecture website for more info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.