Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
In a shared house/apartment in a not very central area - sure.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Well, you can't retire to the UK at all without a proper visa and there is no retirement visa so I think the question is moot.
Oooohhhh.... I saw the Italian flag and thought the poster was already living in Italy ....

but of course, if not, European, then no hope.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Oooohhhh.... I saw the Italian flag and thought the poster was already living in Italy ....

but of course, if not, European, then no hope.
From other posts, the poster appears to be American and no indication of other nationality.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
From other posts, the poster appears to be American and no indication of other nationality.
..... and he has also asked about retiring in Paris, parts of Italy, Pattaya and Mexico.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Panama will accept retirees as long as they can demonstrate income of $1000/month if single, $1250/month if a couple. And that is not an unrealistic budget, though you'll be in a more prosaic accommodation and not a penthouse with a pool.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, you can't retire to the UK at all without a proper visa and there is no retirement visa so I think the question is moot.
I don't think this is quite correct, nyclon. Here is a pertinent quote from a government web page, https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...stay-as-a-retired-person-of-independent-means
"Permission to stay in the UK is normally granted for 5 years. After that time, you can apply for permission to settle in the UK permanently (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’). You will need to have met the requirements of this immigration category throughout the whole 5 years."

The previous answer gives me a tiny bit of hope, though I'm not counting my chickens before they cross the road. Can anyone else weigh in, please?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What is your close connection to the UK?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I don't think this is quite correct, nyclon. Here is a pertinent quote from a government web page, https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...stay-as-a-retired-person-of-independent-means
"Permission to stay in the UK is normally granted for 5 years. After that time, you can apply for permission to settle in the UK permanently (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’). You will need to have met the requirements of this immigration category throughout the whole 5 years."

The previous answer gives me a tiny bit of hope, though I'm not counting my chickens before they cross the road. Can anyone else weigh in, please?
Please read the following document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...a/file/276256/Retired_persons_independent.pdf

The 'retired person of independent means' category was closed in 2008.

The document you presented is for those person who are already in the UK under this now closed category and who wish to extend their stay.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts

Unfortunately that visa was discontinued years ago. The page you referenced only pertains to those who were already on that visa.

You missed this important bit:

If you are already have permission to stay in the UK as a retired person of independent means, you can apply to extend your stay or settle here. The maximum period you can extend in this category for is 5 years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is your close connection to the UK?
Hi, Pallykin: I am a literature teacher with a lifelong love and admiration of the culture, the language, the humor, and the aspirations. London is one of the premier cultural centers on the globe. Finally, I have one or two friends in the U.K., though not in London.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately that visa was discontinued years ago. The page you referenced only pertains to those who were already on that visa.

You missed this important bit:

If you are already have permission to stay in the UK as a retired person of independent means, you can apply to extend your stay or settle here. The maximum period you can extend in this category for is 5 years.
Nyclon, As I look at more information on the U.K. website, I see that you are probably right. Thank you for that information. I see that the "Standard Visitor Visa" discourages any attempt at leaving and returning to the country in order to extend one's stay. So: is there any legal and acceptable way for a retiree to spend, if not the rest of his life, than a year or so in the U.K. at a time? Thank you.

Actually, though I would appreciate an answer here if there is one, I think I'm going to make the question it's own thread as well.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
In short no. You need to qualify for some other long-term visas - all of them difficult, like having millions to invest, being married to a British citizen, genuine refugees fleeing from persecution. There is employment visa but as retiree presumably you don't want to work and in any case it's very difficult to qualify for one as you need sponsorship and you really need to be in shortage occupation (goggle for a list).
Some other EU countries are less restrictive to retirees, and people have successfully applied for retirement visa in Italy, Spain etc.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
There is no need to start another thread. You need to qualify for a visa just like anyone else and your options are limited. Tier 1 investor or entrepreneur with lots of money to invest in or start a UK business, Tier 2 work visa, student visa, or spouse visa. Visit visas are limited to 6 months at the discretion of the immigration officer and you must show strong ties to the U.S.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In short no. You need to qualify for some other long-term visas - all of them difficult, like having millions to invest, being married to a British citizen, genuine refugees fleeing from persecution. There is employment visa but as retiree presumably you don't want to work and in any case it's very difficult to qualify for one as you need sponsorship and you really need to be in shortage occupation (goggle for a list).
Some other EU countries are less restrictive to retirees, and people have successfully applied for retirement visa in Italy, Spain etc.
Thank you for this information, Joppa.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.