Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my permanent residency card but currently I'm back home in Wales sorting out the sale of my house. I was wondering whether I can set up a Canadian account from the UK. I've checked the HSBC website but I need a minimum of £10K deposit - I'm not gonna have that kind of cash until the house is sold.

Can anyone help please?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I have my permanent residency card but currently I'm back home in Wales sorting out the sale of my house. I was wondering whether I can set up a Canadian account from the UK. I've checked the HSBC website but I need a minimum of £10K deposit - I'm not gonna have that kind of cash until the house is sold.

Can anyone help please?
I doubt if any of the major Canadian banks will accommodate you. They are required to see at least two pieces of identification when an account is opened and want to see the new account holder in person.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers old buddy. Thanks for that.

I guess I have to make a short visit to set up a bank account, get my SIN number, get our health insurance forms and find a rental property. Hopefully I can get all 4 things done, come back to Wales to finalise the house sale then arrange a date for my whole family (including pets) to make the big move. Unless you can suggest a better plan?

I have family in Ontario who will put me up (again).

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Cheers old buddy. Thanks for that.

I guess I have to make a short visit to set up a bank account, get my SIN number, get our health insurance forms and find a rental property. Hopefully I can get all 4 things done, come back to Wales to finalise the house sale then arrange a date for my whole family (including pets) to make the big move. Unless you can suggest a better plan?

I have family in Ontario who will put me up (again).
If you don't mind me saying so but it seems a big trip to make for such things. I assume you and the family are already LANDED. Getting your SIN and OHIP cards will only take a couple of hours and I'm not sure you can obtain OHIP for the other family members without them being here. Renting something will usually require it happens immediately, beginning the first of the following month. So unless you plan to return within a couple of weeks it could be difficult finding something and, if you do, it may well be very expensive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you don't mind me saying so but it seems a big trip to make for such things. I assume you and the family are already LANDED. Getting your SIN and OHIP cards will only take a couple of hours and I'm not sure you can obtain OHIP for the other family members without them being here. Renting something will usually require it happens immediately, beginning the first of the following month. So unless you plan to return within a couple of weeks it could be difficult finding something and, if you do, it may well be very expensive.
My eldest son and I have landed, my wife and youngest son have not (well not yet). I can't get my head around what is best. I need a rental property before we all make the move - we have to have somewhere to stay when we get there and an address for the dogs to be 'delivered' to. I thought a quick visit to sort out a rental property and also get my SIN, bank account and OHIP then pop back to Wales to finalise arrangements , then all four of us could make the big move a week or two later.

Or can you suggest something different? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
My eldest son and I have landed, my wife and youngest son have not (well not yet). I can't get my head around what is best. I need a rental property before we all make the move - we have to have somewhere to stay when we get there and an address for the dogs to be 'delivered' to. I thought a quick visit to sort out a rental property and also get my SIN, bank account and OHIP then pop back to Wales to finalise arrangements , then all four of us could make the big move a week or two later.

Or can you suggest something different? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
If you are sure about coming back in two weeks then coming over and renting does make sense but if that's not definite it could cost you lot of money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Open bank account from the UK

Yes you can.
I just did it in Egypt through HSBC bank in Cairo, Egypt.
You have 2 options: either you do it yourself through HSBC.ca website or through HSBC bank in England.
If you do it online, you will have to fill in the application and go to an HSBC bank and sign infront of them, then take all the documents required and send it by mail to HSBC canada. You don't need to have a personal account at HSBC England.
The ohter option through the bank, but they will charge I think around $250 but in this case they do everything, they fill in the application and send it on your behalf.
Later the bank will send your account details and also your check card and check book.

Aziza

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Yes you can.
You have 2 options: either you do it yourself through HSBC.ca website or through HSBC bank in England.
If you do it online, you will have to fill in the application and go to an HSBC bank and sign infront of them, then take all the documents required and send it by mail to HSBC canada. You don't need to have a personal account at HSBC England.
The ohter option through the bank, but they will charge I think around $250 but in this case they do everything, they fill in the application and send it on your behalf.
Later the bank will send your account details and also your check card and check book.

Aziza
Did you read the OP's original thread/post?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes you can. And you only need 10,000 if open a premier account. Open a regular one. I think the minimum is $1000.

Can anyone help please?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.