Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am graduating in December with a degree in bus. management. So im 22 without a major skill. I am from the US but will get my Italian passport in Feb.

Could I do a working holiday in australia for the 12 months, with the hope that I can find an employer sponsor? Importantly, Can a person with no special skill be sponsored with a permanent work visa that allows for a permanent stay?

How long does it take for working holiday visas to be processed?

Thanks anyone for info.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Am:

The WHV is fairly quick. However PR is a different proposition, while I expect in theory you could try and get a PR most AU employers would be looking for several years of experience and they get plenty of candidates from the local population, skilled migrants, and also AU graduates themselves.

To really attain PR you will need to do 4 yrs+ of work in your field with an aim of skilling up to a level that AU employers are actually willing to sponsor.

I am graduating in December with a degree in bus. management. So im 22 without a major skill. I am from the US but will get my Italian passport in Feb.

Could I do a working holiday in australia for the 12 months, with the hope that I can find an employer sponsor? Importantly, Can a person with no special skill be sponsored with a permanent work visa that allows for a permanent stay?

How long does it take for working holiday visas to be processed?

Thanks anyone for info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Work permit.

Hi Am:

The WHV is fairly quick. However PR is a different proposition, while I expect in theory you could try and get a PR most AU employers would be looking for several years of experience and they get plenty of candidates from the local population, skilled migrants, and also AU graduates themselves.

To really attain PR you will need to do 4 yrs+ of work in your field with an aim of skilling up to a level that AU employers are actually willing to sponsor.

Thanks for the reply and information. My alternative is going to work and do grad school in Europe with my citizenship. But isn't the economy way better in Australia, specifically : less unemployment? And here in the states, getting a job and good experience is treated like winning the lottery now. I wish I had forever to hang around and skill up...but when my best investment this year has simply been converting an account to Australian $, I think 2010 is a great time to look for opportunities elsewhere.

I hope to not sound like a complainer. Heading to Europe would not be the end of the world. I'm just trying the most productive option.

Does the work visa have a specific number, so I could see exactly what is needed?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi There:

Economy in AU is good compared to most places (they've started interested rate rises already as the economy seems to be heating up).

As for the visa search for 417 on the Immi.gov.au website (Working Holiday Visa).

Thanks for the reply and information. My alternative is going to work and do grad school in Europe with my citizenship. But isn't the economy way better in Australia, specifically : less unemployment? And here in the states, getting a job and good experience is treated like winning the lottery now. I wish I had forever to hang around and skill up...but when my best investment this year has simply been converting an account to Australian $, I think 2010 is a great time to look for opportunities elsewhere.

I hope to not sound like a complainer. Heading to Europe would not be the end of the world. I'm just trying the most productive option.

Does the work visa have a specific number, so I could see exactly what is needed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts