Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a job in CDMX. It is an interesting job and just maybe I can work on my dissertation en el Estado de México concurrently. The salary is 50K pesos per month (bruto). Can one live on this in CDMX? It seems like "nice" apartments cost un ojo de la cara.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,096 Posts
I have been offered a job in CDMX. It is an interesting job and just maybe I can work on my dissertation en el Estado de México concurrently. The salary is 50K pesos per month (bruto). Can one live on this in CDMX? It seems like "nice" apartments cost un ojo de la cara.
No one can tell you that. It depends on your life style. But many could live very well on much less than that in Mexico City. For perspective, that income would put you at the top of the top 10% of incomes in Mexico. The average for the top 10% was about $46,700 in 2014 according to this study.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/mexico/310329/april2014/2014_01_Standard-of-Living.pdf

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My main fear is the cost of renting a place to live. The office would be near the angel of independence and I don't have a good idea of what a 2 bedroom rental would cost. I sure don't want to commute far.

·
Super Moderator
9,121 Posts
My main fear is the cost of renting a place to live. The office would be near the angel of independence and I don't have a good idea of what a 2 bedroom rental would cost. I sure don't want to commute far.
I live near the Angel. I pay $5000 a month to rent a very small one-bedroom apartment. Unfortunately, except for my small building, the rents in this area are going up and up, so if you want to live here, you'll have to pay between $10,000 to $20,000 a month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.