Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I lodged my application for 189 visa onshore and it’s currently being processed. My family is planning an overseas vacation and I’d love to go with them. I am currently holding 485 Graduate visa which allows me to travel to and from Australia. However, I remember reading somewhere that I have to be in Australia when the decision is made on my 189 application.

I rang DIAC a few days ago and they informed me that I can travel (as I’m holding 485) but I should apply for bridging visa C to be reinstated after I got back to Australia. They also told me that I don’t have to be in Australia when the visa is granted. I lodged my 189 application onshore and I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that I have to be in Australia when the visa is granted.

It also says on 189 visa page on SkillSelect website that I should use form 1022 to notify the department if “you and/or your dependent family members intend to travel to and from Australia while the application is being processed”

Any ideas on this would really be appreciated.

Thank you very much guys!

Kent

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
You only need the bridging visa if your visa is no longer valid. If your visa will allow you to return to Australia after your holiday then you don't need to apply for one.

If you have a case officer, you may wish to notify them of your travel plans but from what I understand, there is no longer a distinction between onshore and offshore applicants. Previously, you needed to be onshore or offshore when the visa is granted depending on where you applied but that seems to no longer be the case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts