Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Here's my situation. I would really appreciate some advice.

I'm an Indian citizen who has been working in France for the past six years. I'm a scientist, and possess a 'titre d'sejour scientifique', that has been getting renewed every year ever since I first arrived. The renewal of this type of permit is always dependent on whether the holder has a job offer with a French research institution. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow for any other type of employment. That is, if I decide to work for a company in France, my titire d'sejour will have to be changed to the 'entreprise' type, which my employer will have to sponsor.
My current job with a French research institution ends later this year, and I have decided to change over to the industry. Some companies here have shown interest in hiring me, but are unwilling to go through the administrative formalities required for the change of my titre d'sejour. They would rather hire someone who already has the right to work in France or the EU.
I have heard that based on my six year stay in France, I can get a ten year staying permit that will allow me to do any type of work, not just in France but also anywhere in the EU. I have a few questions though. First, to get this sort of permit , do I need to show the prefecture that I have at least a ten year working contract with some organization in France ? Second, has anyone gone through this procedure successfully?
Sorry for the long post, and thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I thought that after five years in France you'd be eligible for a 10 year carte de resident, which indeed does alow you to work in any field you want or even not work at all....let's just see what people with more experience have to say.

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sarah and Bev, Thank you for the quick replies.

Bev, would the rules being updated mean that they are going to be made more strict, given the current political and economic climate? What does your experience tell you about this?

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
Sarah and Bev, Thank you for the quick replies.

Bev, would the rules being updated mean that they are going to be made more strict, given the current political and economic climate? What does your experience tell you about this?
It's really hard to tell - though given that they don't usually post that notice until after the rules have been issued, I'd say it is likely things may get stricter. But, it could be that the French are trying to get their policies in line with European requirements, too - which could conceivably go the other way.

Or, you can wait until after the elections in May and see which way the wind is blowing by then.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.