Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Can I enter the UK with a EU ID card as a British Citizen?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  clever-octopus 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm a British citizen with dual nationality. I recently got my citizenship and need to apply for a British passport.

Given all the current delays around getting a British passport, I haven't sent my application yet. The main issue is that I'm travelling quite a bit in the next two months and in order to get my passport I also need to send my foreign passport to them. If I do that though, I'm not sure how I'll be able to re-enter the UK.

Before getting my citizenship, I used to have EU Settled Status, which allowed me to travel to the UK with my EU ID card, but I'm not sure if that status is still valid. When I login into my account, it says it's still valid, but I find it weird that a British citizen can also have an active immigration status at the same time. This leads me to think that if I give them my foreign passport now, I won't be able to re-enter the UK with my EU ID card.

Does anyone know anything about this? I can't find any useful information online.

Thank you so much!

See less See more
#2 ·
No you can't. You don't have that status anymore (as of the moment you swore the oath or affirmation at your citizenship ceremony), and it would be fraudulent to use a document that's no longer valid. If you had a BRP or BRC, you were required to destroy it and send it to UKVI as soon as you took your oath

You could apply to get right of abode in your foreign passport, but I can't guarantee that it will be significantly faster than getting a British passport (you can only get one or the other). If you're a visa national then you won't be able to board a plane to the UK without a British passport or right of abode, I'm afraid you're in a tough spot and may need to delay travel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.