Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I live in the UK and have indefinite leave to remain. I would like to apply for citizenship on the basis of marriage. Once citizenship is granted, I may need to travel before I have time to apply for my UK passport. Will I be able to re-enter and remain in the UK on my American passport after I have my UK citizenship?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hello,
I live in the UK and have indefinite leave to remain. I would like to apply for citizenship on the basis of marriage. Once citizenship is granted, I may need to travel before I have time to apply for my UK passport. Will I be able to re-enter and remain in the UK on my American passport after I have my UK citizenship?
Thanks for your help.
As a dual citizen, you can enter the UK on any passport -- unlike the US! However, if you enter the UK on a US passport, you are entering as a visitor and will be expected to leave after your 6 months are up. So you can't remain there but would need to leave again. It's going to cause you problems unless it is just a short visit you're planning on entry.

As a sideline, UK passports are now so bloody expensive for those living abroad these days that it's becoming popular for dual citizens living in the US to travel to the UK on their US passport and then just present their expired UK passport to UK border control.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ok, im not sure i understand?
If (once my visa is approved..spousal) I choose to come back to the united states for a short visit upon re-entry of the uk -my US passport will be stamped with the 90 visitor stay? Even if i have an approved visa?

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
If (once my visa is approved..spousal) I choose to come back to the united states for a short visit upon re-entry of the uk -my US passport will be stamped with the 90 visitor stay? Even if i have an approved visa?
No. Once you get your marriage visa, upon re-entry you get a date stamp, often with the words 'as per leave to enter xxx' scribbled in, xxx being the code for the settlement visa already in your passport. So you don't get 6-month visitor's leave to enter, as your previous leave for settlement is still valid.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Nope -- this applied to dual citizens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.